Introduction.

Lavinia Laurent, daughter of the richest man in Avonlea, was a sight for sore eyes.

With her black hair that complemented her brown eyes, plump lips, and fading freckles. She was envied by many.

Although, she was also loved by many. Due to her kind personality and use of words. She was polite to everyone, always seen with a smile on her face.

Even though it seemed like she had the perfect childhood, it was the complete opposite. Q

As she was an only child from one of the most powerful families, she had her duties. And they weren't easy.

Her father was harsh on her, never praising her or showing her any love.

He taught her how she should never laugh out loud, only talk to others in high positions, wear the most expensive dresses, walk straight and never look behind.

She would be married as soon as she was of age, to a man with a title and money. And would be shipped off to study in London, learning how to become a lady.

She found it ridiculous, but she never complained. Because she knew angering her father would do her no good.

One good thing in her life was her two best friends, Diana Barry, and Jane Andrews.

Yes, all the girls were friends but she was closer to these two. They had been there for her the most.

Each week they would visit each other, gossiping about others while drinking tea. And today was one of these days.

"Have you heard?" Jane spoke as she grabbed another biscuit.

They were currently in Lavinia's enormous garden, sipping tea and eating biscuits that one of her maids had brought.

Lavinia gave her a confused look, "Heard what exactly?"

"The new orphan the Cuthbert's adopted."

"Father told me I shouldn't go near her," Diana spoke after sipping on her tea.

"I've heard a lot about her from father," Lavinia shrugged, "He also told me to say away from her, something about her coming from an asylum."

Jane shuddered at that thought, "That must be horrifying."

"It can't be that bad, she is a human being like us after all."

"Diana is right," nodded Lavinia, "we must welcome her and make sure she doesn't feel alone."

"How can we? Our fathers ordered us to stay away from her."

"What our fathers don't know won't hurt them." The black-haired girl shrugged as she smiled innocently at her two best friends.

"Is the ever so perfect Lavinia Laurent planning on disobeying her parents?" Jane gasped, feigning shock.

Diana went along with her, "I would have never thought!"

A few seconds passed by as the three best friends looked at each other, before exploding with laughter.

-