Twenty-one.

"Be on your best behavior, sweetheart."

Lavinia scrunched her face in disgust at the nickname her father gave her.

After the fight they had, her father had been extremely nice to her. He ignored her mother as much as possible, putting all his attention on work and his daughter.

They were in a carriage, heading to the Barry's house. They were hosting a party so everyone can discuss matters about the gold. And because her father was helping others with the payment along with Mr. Barry, he had to attend the party.

He didn't bring his wife, knowing that she'll embarrass him by fighting with him. And since he wanted to get closer with his daughter and make up for all of the times he was absent, he decided to take her with him.

"How long will this take?" She asked without looking up at him, staring at the window.

"Just a few hours," he took a deep breath before continuing, "If you want to head home, inform me and we'll leave immediately."

She nodded her head, muttering a small thanks.

-

"Girls," Lavinia smiled at her two best friends once she entered the house filled with people.

"Lavinia! Took you long enough to get here."

"I purposely took a long time to get ready just to annoy father."

Diana simply shook her head at the younger girl, not wanting to scold her because she knew it would be useless.

"Talking about my father," Lavinia looked around, making sure no one was listening, "He's been acting very strangely after the fight he had with mother."

This made Jane frown, "Did he hurt you?"

"No!" The girl fidgeted with her dress, "He's been unusually nice."

Jane deadpanned at what she had just heard, while Diana merely shook her head once again as she sighed.

"You scared us Lavinia. I thought it was something horrible."

"It is! I don't want to get used to him being there for me. I'd expect him to be nice and pay attention to me and what if one day he goes back to normal? I'll just get hurt even more. It's stupid. He's stupid. Why does he have to be like this?"

The girl rambled, not noticing her friends were looking at someone behind her.

Jane took a hold of her before turning her around, making her face a smirking Nate.

"What do you want?"

"I just wanted to tell you to thank your father. He's been such a great help. You girls' fathers have been helping the town pay for the soil test."

Lavinia took a deep breath, stopping herself from punching the guy in front of her.

"Aren't you wanted somewhere else?"

Diana nudged Lavinia before speaking up, "What she meant is she'll gladly tell him how grateful you are."

Nate nodded before taking his leave, not before sending the girl a smug smile.

"I am trying my best to stop myself from following him and punch him."

After that, the party went pretty good. Diana played the piano, the maids handed treats to everyone, Mr. Lynde ate all of the leftover sweets, Lavinia had a chat with Marilla asking how Anne was.

Sooner than she anticipated, her father made his way to her. Telling her they should head back home now.

She hugged the girls goodbye before entering the carriage, but this time with a huge smile.

During the party she thought about the situation with her parents.

If her father was going to be there for her, even for just a little while, she'll enjoy and make the most of it. She didn't care if he would stop caring after a while, she wanted to know how it felt to have a loving father, even if it was for just a little while.

She thanked her father before heading to her room, leaving a smiling Mr. Laurent standing at the beginning of the staircase.

But the smile soon faltered once he realized he had to go back to his wife.

-

Gilbert sighed as Bash glared at him for waking up, but he felt the need to tell him about her.

"There was this girl back in Avonlea. Lavinia. One time I called her friend 'carrot' and she yelled at me for it."

"I give her right on that."

"She has a fiery temper. My father told me she reminded him of her mother when they were young."

This caught Bash's attention, making him sit up from his bed, "Her mother knew your father?"

"Everyone knew each other in Avonlea, it's a small town. But yeah, he told me they had something, before she was forced to marry Mr. Laurent."

"Forced?"

"Her family was in need of money, and Mr. Laurent's family is the richest in Avonlea."

"So you could have been siblings?"

"Wha- that's not the point. I'm just wondering if I'll ever see her again."

"How long you plannin' to stay on this ship?"

"I don't know. I want to go wherever the spirit moves me. That's what my dad used to say."

"I feel like we'll be crackin' coal forever. Like them pistons in the engine, always going and going and going nowhere. I'm trapped here."

"I felt trapped in Avonlea. If I go back home, I may never be able to leave."

A guy from behind scoffed before speaking up, "Boy, you call that a problem? Some of us ain't have no home."

Gilbert sunk in his bed, thinking about Lavinia. Everything he did made him think of her. When he was working, eating, singing, sleeping. She couldn't leave his mind.

She was the only reason he thought of going back to Avonlea. He missed her, but he didn't regret leaving. He needed space, and back in Avonlea there was no such thing as space.

If he went back, he would want Bash to come with him. That way they can both help each other and get what they want.

Bash gets a home, and Gilbert gets to continue his studies and see Lavinia again.

But he didn't think Bash would ever agree. He seemed like he had no choice but to stay on this ship.

Gilbert sighed before closing his eyes, slowly drifting off to sleep as he thought of Avonlea and a certain girl.

-