Eight.

"Miss Lavinia, there is a fire in town. Your father says 'put on your boots and hurry down!'"

Lavinia's maid had just woken her up with a worried look. The girl widened her eyes as every word she had just heard settled in.

There was a fire.

She quickly jumped out of bed, put on her boots and hurriedly went down the stairs. She was met with her parents, who were ready and waiting for her.

Before they left, the filled all the buckets they had with water, and placed them in the carriages

They entered the carriage and made they're way to the fire, which Lavinia soon found out was the Gillis's house.

Lavinia stepped out of the carriage where she heard a man yell, "Keep those buckets comin'! Keep them movin'. Pass these down the line! Hurry, hurry! We need more buckets!"

Lavinia quickly found Diana and Jane, who were talking to each other with worry etched in their faces.

Diana was the first to see her, hugging the girl tightly, "Oh Lavinia, it's so good to see you."

Lavinia smiled at the girl before looking with house on fire, "Oh, poor Ruby."

"All of her clothes,"

Both Diana and Lavinia looked at Jane, who was looking at her clothes frowning.

"All you care about is clothes!" Diana hissed at Jane, glaring at Lavinia demanding her to stop laughing.

Diana turned to Lavinia, "Don't laugh!"

The younger girl took a while to stop laughing, raising her hands in surrender, "I am not laughing."

Just after she finished that, she heard the men shout even more, realizing the fire spread more.

"The fire isn't stopping,"

And that's when the girl realized something, "Why are the doors and windows open?"

She started walking slowly towards the house, her friends following behind with a confused look.

"What?"

She quickly started running, ignoring the shouts coming from her friends and other men who saw her.

She entered the house, taking her clothing and covering her nose. She mad her way to every room, closing the windows and doors after she finished with the room.

She went upstairs and did the same thing over and over again, ignoring her suffocating lungs.

She went to close a window which was beside the men who were working, but before she could she heard a familiar voice.

"Lavinia?" He sounded breathless.

She looked up to meet Gilbert's brown eyes, his face expressing worry about the girl inside the house.

"What are you doing there? Get out! It's not safe." He yelled at her, although not realizing since he was scared to death.

"You can't stop the fire unless I close the windows and doors," she explained quickly before leaving, ignoring the calls from him.

She hurriedly and breathlessly went downstairs, falling onto her knees. But getting up and leaving the house, gasping for fresh air.

"Lavinia!"
Diana gasped, tears in her eyes.

"She's alive!"
This time it was Jane, who looked worried as she held Lavinia's hand.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." The girl gasped for air, feeling as if she had just ran a marathon.

Jerry headed to the others, "Lavinia slowed down the fire!"

"What were you thinking?" Her mother shouted, staying away from the girl so she wouldn't dirty her dress.

"Fire-fire needs oxygen. Closing windows and doors deprives it."

The girl laid down on Diana's shoulders while Jane kept holding her hand. She closed her eyes, taking a moment to take everything in.

That was before Jane cleared her throat, standing up and taking Diana with her.

Lavinia opened her eyes, seeing Gilbert standing in front of her.

"Hey," she smiled awkwardly at the boy, who had a small smile, despite how worried he was.

He took a seat beside her, "You shouldn't have done that, you know?"

"If I didn't do anything, then the fire wouldn't have stopped." She looked down at her lap where her hands where.

"I would rather have the fire spread than have you get injured."

She slightly blushed, and was grateful that her hair was covering her cheeks.

She finally looked at him, "Ruby is my friend."

"But she wouldn't want you to get hurt either."

Either.

She stood up, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. While Gilbert followed, his gaze never leaving the girl.

"I should get going, my parents need me," she glanced at him before walking away.

He stopped her by calling her name, making her look back to Gilbert who was a few feet away.

"Take care of yourself,"

"Will do," she turned around once again, and headed to her parents.

Diana and Jane were standing beside them. They giggled and wiggled their eyebrows as soon as they saw the girl.

"So, what did Gilbert Blythe say?" Jana nudged Lavinia, who sighed but there was a small smile evident on her face.

"Nothing,"

Diana gave her a look, "And since when did 'nothing' happen to make you blush?" She put her hands on her hips, reminding both girls of their mothers.

Thankfully, the Minister has arrived, shutting both girls.

Shortly after, they were all standing straight, quietly listening to the Minister as he spoke, "We thank thee for watching over us, and keeping all in our community safe from harm. Praise be to God almighty."

Lavinia quickly headed to her parents, who were discussing something with the Gillis, Lynde and Barry family.

Rachel flapped her hand excitedly, "Alright, it's settled. The Gillis family will be billeted out to the Laurent's, the Barry's, the Cuthbert's and ourselves."

"We owe you all a great debt of thanks, especially dear Lavinia, risking your life for us and taking such quick action. And, ladies, thank you kindly for agreeing to take the children. Especially since school won't be in session. You'll have your hands full.
Ruby, come here, please."

Mrs. Gillis quickly took ahold of her crying daughter, telling her she would be staying at the Cuthbert's house first.

The girl broke into a sob, "Why can't I stay with Lavinia for the whole week."

The said girl awkwardly fidgeted with her fingers, avoiding eye contact with the redhead.

"Fine! You can stay with Lavinia the whole week." Anne huffed and took off, with Marilla and Mathew following behind.

"Alright then," Lavinia's mother spoke up, "It would be lovely to have Ruby."

Ruby held Lavinia's hand and took off to the Laurent's carriage, both talking and laughing.

"Oh Lavinia, this week will be so fun!" Ruby squealed from excitement.

The dark haired girl nodded eagerly, her thoughts drifting to Anne and their fight.

-