Two.

It was the first day of school and Lavinia was beyond thrilled.

Not because she enjoyed school, but because she could get away from her parents.

Her mother had picked a fancy dress, saying she had to make a good "come back".

Lavinia looked at the dress that her maid held; it was from the finest and most expensive stores her mother shops from.

Because the Laurent family isn't the Laurent family unless they spent money on expensive stuff.

Her maid brushed her hair and left it laying down, then went on to tie a matching bow to the pink dress.

Lavinia went downstairs to the dining room, greeting her mother and father before taking a seat.

"Don't eat way too much dear, you wouldn't want to look bloated on your first day back to school now would you?"

Lavinia nodded her head, taking an apple and eating it.

As soon as she finished she hopped out of her seat, "Well I must get going now. Goodbye father, goodbye mother."

"Have a wonderful time sweetheart." Her mother smiled sweetly at her only daughter.

She headed straight to Jane's house, since it was closer than Diana's.

She knocked on the door, and was greeted by Mrs. Andrews.

"Oh yes dear, Jane is in her room." She didn't bother with the formality since the girl was always at the house.

Lavinia went up the stairs, past Prissy and Billy's rooms before abruptly opening the door, not knocking at all.

Jane gasped as she threw her comb at Lavinia, "Ouch!"

"Lavinia this is the third time you've done this to me! Would you learn how to knock for the love of god?" Jane tried her best to stay mad, but how could she when she saw her best friends face.

They both exploded from laughter, the two of them leaning on each other for support.

Lavinia then stopped laughing and shuddered at the thought of Mr. Philips, "we should get going, we don't want to be late on the first day back to school."

They locked arms as they made their way downstairs and left the house, heading to Diana's house.

"Do you think Anne would be there?" Jane asked after a few minutes of silence.

"I don't know, but I really do like her. She's always so happy."

Jane has a dreamy look on her face, "Her freckles are to die for."

"Oh come on Jane stop slowing us down, or Diana will head to school on her own."

"Alright Lavinia calm down." Jane

The girls soon arrived to Diana's house, not having to enter as they were greeted by an angry looking Diana right outside the house.

Jane stopped in front of the oldest girl, "Oh no,"

"What did we do?" Lavinia gulped.

"I don't know but I surely am scared."

"Why on earth are you girls late?" Diana whisper-shouted.

"Why are we whisper-shouting?" Lavinia answered while also whisper-shouting, although not knowing why.

"I don't know but what took you so long to get here?"

Both Lavinia and Diana continued whisper-shouting at each other, with Jane standing there not knowing what's going on.

"Uh guys, why are we whispering?" Jane asked her best friends as they finally stopped.