Five.

During lunch Jane, Diana and Lavinia day together outside. Wanting to stay away from everyone else. They were all giggling and laughing, there smiles not falling from their faces once.

Diana looked behind Lavinia, her smile dropping while her eyes widened.

Curiosity got the best of the younger girl and she looked back.

There he was, Gilbert Blythe, making his way to them. He smiled at Lavinia, not bothering to look at the other two girls beside her.

"Hey Lavinia."

This made her quickly stand up, turning around with a genuine smile plastered on her face.

They walked away, so they can have some privacy, but we're still in view.

"Uh, I, uh, thought you might like to try one. They're from our orchard. They're real sweet."

He extended his arm to her, revealing the apple he was holding. She looked back at him, with a smile on her face.

"Thank you, Gilbert."

"It's nothing, really."

Lavinia giggled while shaking her head, "Well it is something to me."

This made his heart flutter, for some reason, and he had no idea why.

"Well I best get going now, thank you for the apple Gilbert." The girl waved at him as she made her way back to her friends.

Her friends who were staring at the two, astonished at what they had just witnessed.

"Is there something going on between you two that we don't know of?" Jane questioned as soon as Lavinia sat down.

Lavinia still had a huge smile on her face, "what? He just gave me an apple."

"I believe it isn't normal for a guy to give a girl an apple, unless he might be interested." Diana hinted, as she nudged Lavinia's shoulder playfully.

"Oh, stop it." Lavinia blushed as soon as she understood what they were implying.

Lavinia then frowned slightly, "Father and mother would never allow it."

"But if they did allow it, what would you do?" Both Diana and Jane stared at the girl, who was thinking about an answer.

She shook her head, dismissing all of her thoughts, "Gilbert Blythe is not interested in me. End of story."

"Whatever you say," Jane smirked, winking at Diana who giggled.

-

"Hey... Carrots!"

Gilbert has been tormenting Anne for the past five minutes, throwing chalk at her nonstop.

But she finally had enough when he had pulled her hair harshly, "I'm not talking to you!"

She hit him with her slate, breaking it in half. Gilbert looked stunned, and so did the whole class.

"You just did."

"Shirley! Get up here! Now! What a vicious display!"

Anne quickly obeyed Mr. Philips orders, standing up in front of the board, watching everyone laugh at her.

Lavinia glared at Gilbert. Her and Anne hadn't talked much, but no one deserves to be humiliated like that.

Gilbert slumped into his seat at Lavinia's glare, not looking back at her out of fear.

"Is this what they taught you in that orphanage? Unacceptable!"

Mr. Philips then began writing on the board harshly, "'Anne Shirley has a very bad temper.' Now, stand here and stay put. And the rest of you, pipe down!! Let this serve as a lesson to you that we do not tolerate such displays of temper here in a civilized society."

"It was my fault, sir. I, uh, I-I teased her." Gilbert finally spoke up.

"Quiet, Blythe. That is hardly an excuse. Quiet, all of you, and return to your lesson.
Thirty minus six divided by three equals..."

Anne started walking away, heading for the door, ignoring all the stares.

"Where do you think you're going? Get back here!" Mr. Philips shouted at her but to no avail.

"Shirley! Get back here. Shirley!"

Anne pushes passed the door, running away to who knows where.

Lavinia looked at her desk, frowning at what just happened. Anne didn't deserve this, she didn't deserve any of this.

And that's when she knew she had to visit her tomorrow. Seeing as today might not be a good idea, since she needed time to cool off.

-