Twenty-nine.

"What in God's name happened to you?" Her mother shrieked at her daughter's straight hair, which was usually curly from the ringlets she forced her to do every night.

"She looks great," Her father muttered as he straightened his newspaper, wearing his reading glasses.

Amelia looked at her husband in shock, "She looks..."

"Like her age? Those curls made her look older. She's only 15, Amelia, give her a break."

Mrs. Laurent went up to Lavinia, who's eyes were puffy from crying, "Why did you open your curls? I've told yo-"

"It was me," Her dad rolled his eyes at his wife, "You don't mind, do you?"

Amelia straightened up her posture, fixing Lavinia's already perfect dress, "Well, you should get going to school now dear."

"I want to eat," She mumbled as she headed to the table with all kinds of food.

"Oh, no," Her mother chuckled falsely, "You'd look bloated. And what would everyone say?"

"Lavinia, take a seat and eat. Take these bacons, they taste quite good." Mr. Laurent smiled at his daughter while pushing the plate filled with food to her.

Lavinia felt like sobbing at the sentiment.

Maybe it was her hormones, she thought.

Her mother scoffed as she turned around to face Mr. Laurent, "What is up with you?"

"What is up with me?" He glared harshly at her, "I'm simply giving my daughter a plate so she can eat. Is that such a horrible thing?"

"If it makes her look-"

"It doesn't make her look like anything. She's our daughter, Amelia. You need to start acting like an actual caring mother."

Amelia looked at him while chuckling bitterly, "Like you're such a caring father?"

"I realize it could possibly be too late to try and fix everything I've done, but I'll still try. We've put her through God knows what!"

Lavinia watched as her mother pointed a finger accusingly at her father. But it all felt like a blur. With the loud ringing in her ears.

She decided to leave before something horrible happening and her having to witness it.

Taking everything she needs, along with her coat in case she didn't want to freeze on her way to school.

Once she entered, she heard everyone speaking at the same time. People heading different directions in a buzz.

She forgot they had practice today.

She also forgot to bring her dress for the role.

Mrs. Lynde is going to be fuming.

-

"You what?" Lavinia choked on the biscuit she was biting into.

"I invited Gilbert and his friend, who's name is Sebastian, for Christmas dinner," Her father smiled at her.

"Why? I don't understand."

"I'd like to get to know the boy who got you mad at me for giving him a job," He raised his eyebrows at her.

Lavinia shook her head, "I'd really appreciate it if you canceled, father."

"Nonsense!" He chuckled at her.

"I don't like him that way!" She glared at him.

"I never said that."

"But you're implying that-"