Twenty-seven.

Lavinia rested her head on her hand, lazily watching Cole as he braided Anne's hair. She took a look at the room, searching for a certain someone.

There he was. Playing and laughing with his friends as if nothing happened yesterday.

The girl looked at her hands on the table, drumming her fingers on the table. One of the many habits of hers when she got nervous.

"You don't have to worry," Jane spoke up as she took her seat beside Lavinia, "I explained everything."

"Knowing Billy, he probably dismissed it," Lavinia looked at her best friend, gulping nervously before asking, "Did he?"

Jane sighed, already knowing what the girl was thinking, "Yes, he did."

"He hates me," The younger girl grumbled as she covered her face with her hands.

"No, he doesn't," Jane held her hand, "He doesn't know anything about feelings or emotions. You know how Billy is."

"Yet I still managed to hurt him."

"But you didn't mean to, lav."

"Why is he upset about all of this? It's not like he feels something for me." Lavinia whined as she rested her head on Jane's shoulder.

Jane stayed quiet. If her brother did feel something for Lavinia, which she still wasn't sure about, she'd want Lavinia to hear it from him, not her.

"Ahem. Cole Mackenzie!" Mr. Phillips loud voice got everyone's attention, "Since you seem to have such... feminine proclivities, we shall indulge your taste of it this morning. You can sit with the girls."

The boys, including Billy, laughed at him. Making Lavinia glare at each one of them, more harshly at Billy.

-

She stared at the letter in her hand, reading the last sentence over and over again.

'I am not returning to Avonlea indefinitely.'

Indefinitely.

Gilbert was never going to return. What was the point of her sending letters to him anymore? It was useless.

She held the letter tightly and left her room, heading downstairs to her father who was reading an article.

"Father," She looked at him sweetly, "May I go to Diana's house?"

"What for?"

"We have to finish our school project, which is due tomorrow."

"Alright then, but do not return late."

"Thank you, father."

She grabbed her coat and left the house, taking a deep breath of the fresh cold air.

It was near Christmas time, everything was covered in white. To say this had lifted Lavinia's spirits would be an understatement. She loved Christmas. It was her favorite holiday. She gets presents, cookies, and most importantly; she spends time with her two best friends.

It was one of the only times during the year where she feels pure happiness.

She headed to Jane's house first, quickly dragging the girl outside with her. She then started walking to Diana's house, which was a short walk from the Andrew's house.

Once she reached Diana's room, she opened it without a second thought.

"It's nice to see that you still don't knock," Jane muttered sarcastically.

"Not important," Lavinia heaved, taking a deep breath to calm herself down after that walk.

"What's wrong?"

"Gilbert," Lavinia laid down in Diana's bed, still out of breath.

"What about Gilbert?"

"He said he's not returning to Avonlea."

Both her friends perked up at that, Diana looking at Lavinia shockingly, "Not returning to Avonlea?"

"Indefinitely."

"When did he send it?" Jane asked.

"It was posted three weeks ago from Port of Spain, in Trinidad."

"You could write him back. With the affect you have on him, I'm sure you could convince him."

Lavinia scoffed at that. Did she even matter to him to have an affect on him? Gilbert seemed careless enough to leave Avonlea with no goodbye. But at that time she still held out hope that it wouldn't be forever, that he would someday come back. Thinking about it this moment, she cursed herself for being so gullible.

Lavinia got up from the bed, rolling her eyes, "I don't have an affect on him. Not even 'There's gold in Avonlea' changed him mind. Which thinking about it now, I'm very grateful it didn't. Considering there isn't any at all."

-

"You should write to him again, tell him there is no "A" in indefinitely." Anne scoffed as she held the letter in hand.

They were all in school and sat in their assigned seats, everyone else walking around in class before school started.

"Oh, I didn't even notice," Lavinia muttered and there was that pang of jealousy once again.

"Ruby will have an affliction. Let's give this to her to keep." Diana frowned as she looked at the letter in Anne's hand.

Lavinia shot up from her seat, "what, why?"

"Unless," Jane smirked, "You don't want to."

No one had time to reply, because Billy came their way and snatched the letter out of Anne's hand.

"What's this? 'Dear Lavinia, it's very nice to hear...'"

Anne stood up from her seat, jumping slightly to catch the letter so Billy wouldn't read more of it, "Billy, give it back! Stop, stop it!"

Lavinia rested in her seat while crossing her arms, watching as Cole made his way behind Billy and snatched the letter out of his hand.

Lavinia casually laughed at his face when he looked at her, making him glare at Cole for embarrassing him in front of Lavinia.

Jane angrily dragged her brother away, glaring at him as she told him how rude he was. Claiming he had no manners whatsoever.

Billy quickly dismissed her, rolling his eyes and going back to the boys to continue messing around the classroom.

But he kept on secretly stealing glances at her; the way she laughed, the way she talked so carelessly.

The way Cole was fixing her hair.

Jealousy overcame him, scowling at the sight in front of him.

He didn't know why he was feeling like this. They weren't even on speaking terms.

-