Ten.

It was another boring day at school, where Jane, Diana, and Lavinia chatted like they usually do.

Mr. Philips entered the room, looking more bored than ever, "Settle down. Don't make me ask you again. Open your readers to chapter 12. When I turn around, you best have your readers open."

Lavinia heard the door open, she turned around wondering who would come so late. Only to see Anne, who hasn't attended school in forever.

She gasped, gaining everyone's attention, "It's Anne! Anne! She's here!"

Most girls called her name from excitement, while Josie rolled her eyes.

"Anne Shirley-Cuthbert, take your seat." Mr. Philips loud voice shushed everyone, making them focus on their readers.

-

The class was having a spelling competition, and Lavinia didn't seem interested at all.

She doodled in her board with her chalk, before noticing that she accidentally wrote Gilbert's name.

She quickly erased it, but it was too late. Jane has already seen it.

Jane gave the younger girl a teasing look, "Well, well. I never knew you liked him this much."

"I was just testing my cursive writing." Lavinia glared at the Andrews girl.

"By writing his name?"

Lavinia ignored her, looking in front as both Anne and Gilbert were competing. She felt a pang of jealousy, seeing Anne out there having fun with Gilbert. Spelling was never her strong suit. Although she was an excellent writer, she seamlessly kept getting average grades in spelling. Which wasn't good enough for her parents, but that was the least of her concerns.

"Spell engagement."

Gilbert looked at Lavinia, taking a deep breath before spelling it out, "E-N-G-A-G- M?"

"That is incorrect. The spelling, not the sentiment."

Lavinia chuckled quietly, covering her mouth with her hand.

She quickly recovered before heading over to Anne and congratulate her.

-

"Shhh. Not so loud. I got mine three months ago and I feel extremely mature."

It was lunch time, and all girls were seated together, this time including Anne.

Lavinia didn't know what brought up the topic of periods, but she didn't care either.

She was too interested in the pie her maid had made to have a care.

"You seem mature."

"You do."

Lavinia scrunched her face as she took a bite out of her pie, knowing they were lying. Because Josie Pye was anything but mature.

"I think the boys take me more seriously, too."

"But they can't tell. Can they can tell? That would be awful."

"Not tell per se. But I'm not a little girl anymore, and I believe that's noticeable. My bosoms are growing."

"Yet another reason why this is inexplicable."

Diana giggled as she looked at the girls, "I got mine last year."

"Me, too."

This made Lavinia frown, she still didn't get hers. She knew she was younger than all the girls by a year, but if Diana and Tillie got theirs a year ago, that means she should get hers now. And still nothing. Was there something wrong with her?