Seventeen.

"So, your name is Nate?" Lavinia questioned as she put her hands on her hips, squinting her eyes at the man.

It's been a couple of months since Gilbert's absence. The girl was heartbroken by the fact that he didn't say goodbye. But she quickly forgot about it, because the two new addition to green gables were very suspicious. The girl didn't trust them. Especially Nate.

Lavinia has changed a bit. Her face was more defined. Her body grew, giving her more curves than she had last year. She was a growing woman like her mother had said.

But that's not her biggest concern, her biggest concern was interrogating Nate.

"Yes, ma'am. My name is Nate."

"You told Anne that only an expert can see gold through your weird looking device. Right?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Well," She glared at Nate as Jane, Diana and Anne walked beside her, "Father told me otherwise"

"Will all due respect Miss Laurent, is your father a gold expert?"

The girl faltered at the question, "Well, no-"

"Well I best get going then."

She scoffed as she watched Nate take his coat and head to the door.

She looked back at her friends, who all started laughing at her.

"I was trying to prove my point!"

"And what's your point exactly?" Diana questioned before she continued laughing.

"That Nate and Mr. Dunlop are suspicious!"

"Lavinia," Jane put a hand on her shoulder, "You're just paranoid."

"I am! But for a good reason, they are acting suspicious. Do you guys actually believe that only an expert can see gold? That doesn't make sense. Gold is gold. You'll see it if it's there."

The girls didn't know how to reply, all of them thinking about what Lavinia had just said.

Anne frowned at the thought, "But I didn't see anything when he allowed me to look."

"Because there wasn't any gold!" Lavinia whisper-shouted to seem more dramatic and to convince them. But it was useless. They shook their thoughts and told Lavinia she was overthinking.

"Oh, hello girls. Dinner is almost ready. Would you like to join us?" Marilla spoke up as she went down the stairs.

Lavinia nodded her head eagerly, Jane smiled, while Diana answered, "We would love that. Thank you Miss Cuthbert."

-

"My apologies! So sorry I'm late! I got lost in my work, again." Nate rushed in, Lavinia staring daggers at him as he hung up his coat.

"We were getting worried, is all."

"I don't think 'we' is the correct term."

"Lavinia!" Marilla gave her a pointed look, "Don't listen to her."

Nate gave her a sly smile, "Please don't hold it against me. Shall I say grace?"

"Yes, so God can forgive you for all of the lying you've done." Lavinia muttered under her breath as she held hands with Diana and Jane since they were beside her.

This made both girls chuckle, making Nate glare at her. He didn't hear what she had said, but he knew for sure that it was about him.

"My, it's been a long time since we said grace in this household." Marilla smiled sweetly at the younger man.

Lavinia scrunched her face at what she had witnessed. Was Miss Cuthbert interested in this... liar?

She hoped Marilla wasn't, because the girl was planing to get rid of him no matter what.

"It does seem like there's an awful lot to be grateful for, especially now at harvest time."

"I am especially grateful that these two aren't staying at my home." Lavinia sighed, a small smile on her face.

"She's a funny one," Mr. Dunlop pointed at her while he laughed with Nate.

Marilla gave her a look, as if telling her to stop, "Grace would be very nice."

"Dear Lord, we thank you for..."

"Oh, could you please say: 'Gracious Heavenly Father?'"

Now it was Anne's turn to receive a look from Marilla, "Anne."

"It sounds so much more romantical."

Lavinia gave Anne a weird look, "Grace isn't supposed to be romantical."

Nate looked at Lavinia, "It's alright, I can say that."

Nate closed his eyes, "Gracious Heavenly Father, please bless this table and the Cuthberts for taking us into their home. We give thanks to you for this food and for the hands that have prepared it. We are thankful for these girls who are very welcoming. We ask your blessings upon this meal, that it will... nourish our bodies and refresh our souls."

"Oh, let's not forget; hopefully I'll have an expert eye soon. So I can see the gold." Lavinia mocked as she kept eye contact with Nate.

-