One.

The Laurent family was seated beside the Barry family at the picnic, with the Andrew's right beside them.

It had been a while now and Lavinia was keen on meeting the new orphan girl.

"Do you think she's coming?" She asked her friends as she looked at her father, who was in a deep conversation with William Barry.

"I hope so, I really want to see how she looks."

As soon as Jane said that, a redhead was seen with both Cuthbert siblings.

"Oh my," Amelia, Lavinia's mother, gasped, looking down on the poor girl with disgust.

"We are going to the woods, for a change of scenery," Lavinia informed the parents as she held both Jane's and Diana's hands.

As she was leaving, she heard Billy scoff but decided to ignore him. Seeing as he was always like this.

As they made their way to the woods, they made sure the redhead saw them.

Lavinia discreetly motioned with her hand for her to come.

The redhead smiled brightly as she excitedly jumped up and down. "Oh Miss Cuthbert, I must go!"

The three girls met the redhead in the middle of the woods, stopping when she caught up to them.

"Hello, I'm Anne! Anne with an E of course. It is a scrumptious pleasure to make your acquaintances. And I shall do my utmost to
prove myself worthy of your friendship." She rambled excitedly, her smile never falling.

"Hello Anne, I'm Diana."

"I'm Jane."

"And I'm Lavinia." The girl smiled brightly as Anne shook her hand for too long.

Anne's eyes widened at the mention of her name.

"Oh Lavinia, what a beautiful name you have! So interesting and unique, unlike Anne." She grumbled.

"I like your name, it's simple and pretty." Diana tried but to no avail.

"You all look like princesses with your puffed sleeves and colored dresses! I would love to have one." Anne sighed dreamily.

"Well, your dress is very simple and pretty, just like your name."

Both Diana and Lavinia winced at Jane's attempt at trying to compliment Anne.

Lavinia smiled brightly at Anne, "Well we best get going before our fathers see us."

"Or worse, Billy snitching on us!" Diana huffed in annoyance.

Lavinia frowned at the mention of Billy, "Your brother really is the worst."

"Oh trust me, I know." Jane rolled her eyes.

The girls noticed they left Anne hanging, so they quickly turned back to her with a sweet smile.

"Goodbye, Anne." All three girls waved at the redhead.

-

"What took you girls so long?" Harmon asked, staring at his daughter with anger.

Jane put her hands behind her back, "We took a walk in the woods father."

"I apologize, my foot got stuck and your daughter had helped me." Lavinia blurted out. Knowing that if she didn't lie then her friends would be in big trouble.

Her father, George, merely nodded before conversing with Harmon and William once again.

The three girls went back to their seats, "That was close."

Jane looked at Lavinia and smiled, "Thank you Lav."

"Yeah if it wasn't for you we would have been in big trouble." Diana put her hand on Lavinia's shoulder.

"What are best friends for?"

-