Thirty-one.

-

"Has anyone seen Josie Pye? Josie Pye?! Where on earth is she? We're minutes away!" Rachel screeched at everyone backstage, searching for the blonde everywhere.

She then turned to Lavinia, "Study, child, study!"

Lavinia gave her a small smile and nod, yet ignored her instructions and looked around for her friends. Jane, who was not apart of the play, hid behind a few curtains to save herself from Rachel's wrath.

She headed Jane's way, careful enough to not bump into the almost running participants in the act.

"Where's Diana?" Lavinia asked her, looking around for said friend.

"I have no idea." The brown-haired girl paused for a second, "Shouldn't you be practicing your lines?"

"I already know the lines. Practiced it with father, of course!" Lavinia beamed at her, pearly whites evident.

Jane's heart fluttered at the sight of her best friend happy. She deserved it.

"Good. We can't have the Princess herself forget her lines."

Lavinia frowned at Jane, "You should have participated with Diana and I."

"All the roles are taken. What would I be?"

"A tree." The young girl smiled cheekily at Jane.

Jane rolled her eyes, "You are not funny."

"Then why are you smiling?"

Jane laughed while pushing Lavinia away, ordering her to continue practicing her lines.

Looking down at her dress, Lavinia smiled at the memory of her and her father heading to town to get it tailored. Her fingers traced the details her father remembered to add when talking to the tailor.

-

"Ladies and gentlemen. Welcome, one and all, to The Tale of The Magical Island. Hoot! Hoot, hoot!"

Everyone chuckled at Billy's costume filled with feathers and a hat shaped like an owl. A scowl was prominent on his face at the palpable mock emanating from the crowd.

Diana entered, singing her part angelically like they had practiced a thousand times before.

Waiting for her cue, Lavinia couldn't help but giggle slightly at the discomfort radiating from Billy.

As if hearing her laugh Billy then look to the right of the stage where she was hidden, before quickly looking back in front as his cheeks heated up in embarrassment.

When it was Lavinias entrance she elegantly placed her dress down neatly, and looked around for her father.

Her smile was brighter than all the candles the shined the room, giving the man a small wave that was returned to her.

Lavinia knew her lines by heart so when her part came, she flawlessly acted out with a certain confidence.

All thanks to her father and his insistence that they practice the play ten times.

Once Diana, the Fairy Queen, summoned Mr Phillips, the Prince, Lavinias attention wavered.

Hiding in the curtains behind a couple of equipment, he sent a smile her way that would've had Ruby swooning.

But Lavinia was no fool. Well at least not until she finds it in her heart to forgive him.

So she did what felt right. She turned back to the crowd and focused on the play.

Much to Gilbert's dismay.

Bash, having witnessed all of the action, patted his friends back pitifully. Still, Gilbert was adamant and didn't want to give up anytime soon.

Gilbert who still had his mind all jumbled up walked backwards, accidentally falling on top of Bash who was slowly placing down a huge piece of wood onto the stage.

It happened all so suddenly. The poor boy dressed as an owl was pushed down, the wood squeezing all the air left in his lungs.

Everyone gasped loudly, kids screaming and running everywhere.

Lavinia quickly hurried to his side, trying to push the wood away but to no avail.

She glanced down at his flailing arms, trying to grasp onto anything for help. Without thinking, Lavinia slowly held his arm to stop his movement.

Billy, as if he recognized who it was, relaxed slightly.

But the moment was snatched away from them when Mrs. Andrews pushed Lavinia out of the way, "Out of my way! Out of my way!"

"Ouch." The younger girl glared at the woman in front of her.

Deciding to leave the family alone, she headed inside where Jane could be seen crying from laughter.

"What's so funny?" Lavinia frowned.

"It was hilarious! I'm never letting him forget this." Jane wheezed in between her words.

Diana shook her head at Jane, although a smile could be seen, "This is not a laughing matter."

Jane's laughter doubled, a hand clutching her stomach from the pain. "You were laughing too."

"Was not!"

"You were!"

"Was no- Lavinia?" Diana shook the girls shoulders.

Removing her stare from Billy who was dragged outside of the room by his mother, Lavinia looked back at her friends, "Yes?"

"Are you okay?"

Before she could reply, Rachel pushed the two girls in the act hurriedly, "Quick, girls. We haven't got the time to chitchat."

-

"Aunt Josephine?" Lavinia's father repeated for what seemed like the tenth time.

"Yes." She sighed tiredly, yet to receive an answer.

"A party?"

"It's an annual party that she hosts. Did I mention, she is having a world-renowned pianist perform?" Lavinia excited twirled around, imagining the beautiful dress she would be wearing.

"No." Her father stated abruptly.

All of her excited thoughts paused, her smile gone as fast as it came, "What?"

"No." He repeated, this time more sternly.

Lavinia glared at the mango tart in her hand, "But why?"

"It's a dangerous world there, I cannot have you socializing with them. God knows what Mr. Barry would do as your male companion." He stood up, fixing his attire in the huge mirror.

"Dad!" The girl gaped at the shade towards her friends father.

"I've already said no."

And with that he left the room, leaving Lavinia alone with her thoughts. She whined at the thought of missing out on the fun her friends would experience.

-