Thirteen.

The weather was cold, just like the mood. It was snowing hard, making everything seem more depressing than it already is. All that could be seen was black clothing, and tears. And all that could be heard was sniffles, and sighs.

Everyone was there. Everyone from town was gathered around, while they dug up a whole in the dirt. Readying themselves to bury him, a man who was once a father, a friend, and a lover.

Mr. Blythe, a kind and friendly man, loved by many, had sadly passed away in his sleep.

Over the weeks, Lavinia had gotten closer to Gilbert. Visiting him in his house, meaning that she would see Mr. Blythe too.

She always talked to the older man whenever Gilbert went to fetch something from the kitchen, accompanying him whenever he needed a distraction. A distraction from the pain. Lavinia adored him, he was such a strong person. With all of the pain he was going through, and not being able to get a doctor because of the expenses. He still kept a smile on his face, he still made silly jokes to cheer up the younger girl. Throughout the short weeks, he had become a father figure to her. Which is why she stood in the second line at the funeral, wiping away her tears as she held her fathers hand, much to his dismay. She didn't care who she held, she needed comfort. She could only imagine how Gilbert was feeling. Losing his only family left. She was beyond grateful for having both her parents, even though they weren't the nicest. Because if anything happened, she always had someone to go to. She regretted not helping the Blythe's with anything. She could've asked her father to get them a doctor and cover all expenses, because after all they had all the money. But she didn't. She selfishly chatted with him, while knowing the man was in pain, not doing anything about it. She hated herself for it. She blamed herself for it.

But now wasn't the time, she had to be there to comfort her friend Gilbert.

He needed someone to rely on during these dark times, and she was willing to be that person.

"Let not your heart be troubled. Ye believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions. If it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; for where I am, there ye may be also."

Soon enough, everyone headed back to the Blythe residence. Except for Lavinia and Gilbert, the latter not looking away from the grave where his father rested.

She made her way beside him, slowly putting a hand on his shoulder as more tears seemed to fall down his cheeks.

"Gilbert.."

But he didn't let her finish. He tightly hugged her, holding onto her as if she would disappear if he let go. She embraced him as he buried his head in her neck, not wanting her to see him cry.

She felt more tears falling down, as she placed a hand on his hair, soothingly brushing it to calm the boy down.

"I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry." Her voice cracked as she held the crying boy.

He slowly let go, wiping away his tears before looking away. Trying to avoid her gaze.

"Lavinia!"

They both turned around and saw Mr. Laurent, waiting by the door for his daughter.

"I, uh," she pointed at her father, making Gilbert nod before she made her way inside.

Her father put a hand behind her back, guiding her inside the Blythe residence. She took one last look at Gilbert, who was now once again facing his fathers grave.

The service was wonderful, and so were the people. Everyone shared their happy memories of John Blythe, everyone brought at least some kind of food out of respect.

Lavinia's mother was distant, mostly quiet. She didn't eat anything, and neither did she share anything about John Blythe. Claiming she didn't know the man very well.

Which was weird, because Mr. Blythe had told Lavinia otherwise.

Through the window she saw Gilbert enter the house, looking around before leaving once again. She hurriedly excused herself from her parents, and went to grab her coat before following him.

"Gilbert!" She called as soon as she was outside.

He was sat on the doorsteps, head in his hands. She could see her breath because of how cold it is, making her shiver from the sudden contact with the cold.

"You should go back."

She sat down beside him before frowning, scooting to his side unknowingly from the cold. He seemed to stiffen up, but she ignored it for now.

Lavinia sighed, making the boy look at her, "You can talk to me, you know?"

"I don't want to talk to you." Gilbert scoffed as he looked ahead, not wanting to see her hurt face.

"Well, if you need someone to talk to. You, uh, you know where to find me." She took a small strand of her hair, playing with as she felt his gaze on her.

"Like I said, I don't want to talk."

Gilbert stood up, heading to the forest. Lavinia followed behind and thought of something to say, "You know, when you think about it, you're really very lucky."

This made him stop and look behind him, facing the girl. Gilbert looked down at her, "You think I'm lucky?"

"Compared to me? Yes-"

"And why is this about you?"

"It's not. I was just trying to-"

He clenched his jaw, not looking back at her. He looked at his house, that was now far away, with hurt in his eyes, "See you."

He walked away from her, not even glancing once. She stared as his figure disappeared, making the girl burry her face in her hands. Regretting everything she just said.

-