Face To Face with the Creator

Adara rushed along the hall toward the apartment she shared with Steve. Her emotions simmered, and excitement filled her heart as she looked for Boss along the way. He wanted to help her and that meant he had forgiven her for tearing him down. Mostly, she was excited because now that his demons have been put to rest, he can become everything he was meant to be.

Adara reached her apartment and found out that Steve had already let Boss in and both men were waiting for her in the lounge room. They shared coffee and conversation with relaxed ease. The men stood for her as she came over and Steve said: "I'll grab you a fresh coffee, Boss, and one for Adara, then I'll go for a walk so you can chat."

Boss said: "Thanks, I'll take the coffee, but you can stay. I have nothing to hide."

Steve glanced toward Adara to check if she preferred privacy, and she smiled and nodded, so Steve stayed. Then with the greatest self-control, Adara sat quietly and waited for Boss to speak.

Boss didn't sit, but paced like a cat, full of energy and excitement. When Steve came back, and placed the mugs of coffee on the table, Boss sat down, but sat forward on the chair as if, not quite sure whether to sit or stand.

He sipped at the coffee and after a few seconds, he said: "Boss, is back! It took a long time for me to analyse our situation, and where I fit in the grand scheme of things, but I'm done, and my conclusions are life changing."

Boss recounted the words from his biography that allowed him to make his important decision and he said: "I have come to realise that doing this has been my purpose all along."

Excitedly, Steve asked: "Doing what, what is your purpose?"

Boss said: "My life experience, knowledge, and my role as a spy... All of it led me to the Void where I had my accident. It was where I awoke to find the teleporter was inside me. Oddly, I knew the activation codes and had the knowledge how to activate the teleporter. While it was in my care, it kept me safe and in doing so, I also kept it safe."

Boss said: "Why do I say this? It is because I finally realise that when the time came, the teleporter would be here for you, Adara. This teleporter was never mine to begin with. I was simply, its caretaker, or the delivery mechanism for the person who would need it to cross to that island."

"Without me even knowing; an entity far greater than I, employed me to get this teleporter to its intended owner... who ever that owner would be. It could have been any species, even the God species, but in the end, that species turned out to be Titans, and I know the person this device belongs to, is you, Adara."

Boss felt relieved as he said: "I welcome your scan of my mind on this. See that I understand what I am doing and am happy to part with it. Adara, use the activation codes, and transfer the teleporter into your body."

Adara teared up and bowed to Boss. Then she said: "Saying thank you is not enough to show my gratitude and relief at your decision. I have been waiting ten years for you to realise it is the only way I can travel to the Island. My 'thank you' is all I can give in return. Getting this teleporter means we Titans can end this stalemate."

Boss said: "There is nothing you can give a man who already has everything he could desire. You have already given it all to me. Please take your teleporter. I have a new project and I need to get moving on it."

Adara said: "You may feel as if there is something missing for a while, Boss. If you like, I can give your mind a nudge so the feeling of loss, is diminished."

Boss touched his chest and said: "No, I don't need that. The device is in my chest, so losing it will allow me to breathe easier, in both senses."

Boss jolted from the sudden disappearance of the personal teleporter and his lungs expanded painfully to fill the void that its removal created. Boss suddenly gasped as if winded by an unexpected punch to the solar plexus. He dropped to his haunches and balanced himself against the lounge with his free hand while the other hugged his agonised chest as he struggled to breathe. His body recovered quickly with the aid of Nanites and in a few seconds, he was able to stand."