Battle Group One

Blake and Fang entered their shared apartment on level three of Titus. The Battle Group they commanded were billeted close to the hangers containing their battleship and its one-person battle pods.

Blake's team were 'technically' on duty twenty-four-seven until more battle groups could be trained-up to share the load. Training another battle group entailed a process that would take ten years as it did for Battle Group One.

To Fang, Blake said: "Well, this is our new address for the next ten years, but don't worry, we will eventually move out to the countryside as we did on Eden. The induction showed us that Titus will eventually reach the same size as Eden and will be the same in every way, just more advanced and a tougher nut to crack."

Fang asked: "If it will be identical, does that mean we can move into our old place, but here on Titus?"

Blake shrugged his shoulders and said: "I'm not sure if that level of detail was the intention when they said identical but I'm sure we will find something similar. I can't wait, but for now, let's get some sleep so we can take our team down to the hangers to check out our battle craft in the morning."

Blake hesitated, then asked: "Do you want to sleep with me tonight?"

Fang's tail drooped and she answered: "It is exactly times like these that I wish we were the same species. It is the one thing that leaves me feeling bitter. It is hard for me to sleep on a bed and impossible for you to sleep in water. Are we able to spend the rest of our lives going to different bed with sad hearts? I know I'm strong enough, but are you, Blake?"

Blake said: "I will never change my feelings for you. You are 'my' Empress."

Fang's tail popped up and vibrated at Blake's conviction and she said: "Well, I'll indulge you for a little while."

In another part of Titus, 'B' Sharp unintentionally felt the tension between Fang and Blake and knowing that promises had been made concerning the pair, it said: "Just as a reminder because it's easy to forget, this special couple, Blake, and Fang, have a compatibility score that is off the charts."

"The science used to ascertain compatibility is perfected, and presenting this data to Fang's parents, as well as your assurance that you can fix this issue is the main reason behind the acceptance of them as a couple under Morfin law."

Adara said: "I know, but now is not the time, I'm busy with other stuff, 'B' Sharp."

'B' Sharp said: "Blake and Fang are anatomically incompatible and cannot create life together. Their physical differences are the main reason both respect each other's need for privacy. Theirs is purely a platonic relationship, and I'm saying this because of the effect that this limitation is having on them. I think we should not delay on your plan for them."

Adara stopped her task and looked at the hovering 'B' Sharp and said: "Okay, as soon as I sort out a strategy for this immediate problem, they will be elevated to the first item on my 'to do' list."

Moving the temporary focus to me as the narrator and author of this memoir, I will write this next part of the text in the first person.

My existence has been shattered by Adara. As a Master Spy, I need to be alert to the strategies I see evolving around me and I have become adept at identifying the seeds that lead to key outcomes. It is the skill of identifying the key players early and taking them down that, in many cases, avoids the need to engage in wars that span multiverses.

That is one of the reasons why I was the best espionage agent. I still am the best at what I do. I simply came up against forces that I was not equipped to eliminate on a personal level. The targets I needed to take down... Adara, The NINE, The SP Council, Blake and even Fang, were all far more able to defend against my methods than I expected... I can see it now, in hindsight.