Epilogue

*** Ten years later***

Samuel walked through the thick dense woods of the north towards the hidden cabin. He broke through the clearing and watched the scene for a few moments before making his presence known.

The girls sat in the grass looking over a book together while their baby brother chewed on a stick. Their older brother was stacking the logs that their father was cutting. A small smile spread across his face.

"Quit wasting time standing there and start using it to find yourself a One and Only Samuel. It's about time." Xander spoke without looking up from swinging his ax and cutting the logs.

"Uncle Sam!" The girls Alina and Ember squealed and went running towards him.

Samuel opened his arms to pick up the twin girls and swing them around. "Hello my pretty pretty maidens. Missed me?"

"Yes! Yes! Did you bring us anything?"

"Alina! He just got here. That is a rude thing to ask before even offering him something to drink." Mira walked from around the cabin with a basket of freshly washed laundry in hand.

"Sorry Mother. Ember get some water for Uncle Sam. Please come sit down." Alina basically drug Samuel over to the fire pit while Ember dashed off.

Samuel sat down on the wooden bench and waited for Ember to come back. She rushed back as fast as her 6yo feet could move without spilling the mug of fresh cold spring water. Samuel took a long slow drink. "Aahhhh thank you little maiden."

Both girls stood frozen before him with eyes full expectation.

"I am sorry but are you waiting for something??" Samuel faked ignorance.

"You didn't bring anything? Ember asked with sadness in her voice.

"No...No I don't think I did...except these new books..." Samuel pulled a stack of books out of his bag.

Both girls screamed and danced in delight as they snatched the books from him.

"Girls! What do you say?" Mira reprimanded them.

"Thank you thank you!" They quickly dashed to sit down and go through their new books.

Samuel smiled broadly. "Annd let's see. I have some new boots for little Leo here. He will be walking any day now eh? Every man needs a good sturdy pair of boots. Ragnar, you didn't think I forgot you did I?"

Ragnar peeped over at Samuel from stacking the logs and smiled softly. He walked over towards Samuel and dusted his hands off on his pants.

"My my you are growing like a weed aren't you. What are you eight years old now?"

"Nine sir." His voice came out strong but soft.

"Goodness me where has the time gone. Now let me see." Samuel dug around in his bag. "Ah here it is." He pulled out a small ax with a wooden carved handle and leather sheath over it.

Ragnar smiled broadly and accepted the gift. "Thank you Uncle Samuel."

"What brings you here Samuel?" Xander swung his ax into the chopping block and walked towards the fire pit. The hint of a limp in his right leg remained all these years.

"It's been awhile since I came last so I just wanted to drop by and say hello." Samuel replied coolly.

Xander cuffed the back of his head with a smack. "Don't lie to me." He sat down and Mira approached them with another cold mug of water for him.

"It's good to see you Samuel but even I can tell something is on your mind." Mira smiled and sat down on Xander's left thigh after giving him the cup.

"Eh it's nothing. Tell me, do you guys ever wonder what these little kiddos will shift into when they are older."

"Not really but I have a pretty good guess." Xander responded.

"Really? Tell me."

"Well for starters Ragnar will be a Grizzly for sure." Xander watched his first born tie his baby brother's new shoes on for him. "Alina and Ember...are both wolves...like their mother."

"And Leo? Another Grizzly like his father?" Samuel questioned with a chuckle.

Xander remained quiet as he looked at his second son. Mira looked up at Xander waiting for his answer as well. "No...well I don't know...He seems like the perfect mix of us both..." Xander shrugged. "Could be either."

Samuel smiled and drank the rest of his water. "I'm getting married."

"Really??" "Who??" Mira and Xander spoke at the same time.

"Oh no one you guys know. Just a girl from a small village I met during one of my missions."

"So? What's the problem?" Mira asked.

"Hm? Well there is no problem per se...it's just...it seems like such a big mission. Being a One and Only...and then a father." Samuel looked over at the twins buried in their books. "A bigger mission than I ever faced in the past..."

"Samuel..." Mira reached out and touched his arm. "You will be a great One and Only...and father when the time comes."

"Time will tell awfully soon I guess." Samuel took a deep breath. "Hey, are you guys ever going to move back to the Royal Village? It's been ten years now and everything seems to have settled. Chase is doing a fine job as the new Commander."

Mira looked at Xander and raised an eyebrow towards him.

"No Samuel. We are not ever going back. This family...has been the biggest adventure yet and it's not over."

****A huge thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read my book. Any thoughts, opinions or questions would be welcome!!! ***