Chapter 34

Mira stood holding her dinner plate completely zoned out. To say that this trip has been rough was an understatement. They only would stop to sleep for five hours but Mira had to train so she would only sleep for three. Yes she can sleep in the back of the moving truck but all the jostling around didn't make it a very restful sleep.

Not only did they train in the morning but also while they guys cooked lunch and dinner. In total, Mira managed to shift four times today while focusing completely on the deep unfulfilled emotions within her to protect her loved ones. That being said, the shift resulted in her usual way, completely unconscious and a bloodthirsty monster. Not to mention the stress and pain she had to endure as she went back and relived those terrifying memories.

Samuel got a good work out being the constant victim in this scenario and Xander really had to hone in on his skills on keeping the attacker and the victim both alive and safe. Samuel was safe and sound which was only because of Xander. Xander had sustained a few bites on his arms and sides but was so far, unscathed.

"Hey," Alex touched her shoulder and woke her up out of her thoughts. "Are you going to sit and eat or just stand there?"

"Sorry." She shook her head a bit to try and wake up as she headed to the fire pit. Mira walked over and sat down on the grass in-between Xanders legs. She didn't feel safe with those three new Grizzlies now joining their crew. Every time she saw them, they always seemed to have a nasty scowl on their face.

A couple of the Grizzlies sitting around noticed her sitting on the ground as it was the first time in a long time since she had done that. A few of them sitting on the bench closest to Xander started to mumble amongst themselves in Old Norse. Ivan got up and sat on the bench with the newcomers as the others scooted down.

"Mira." Chase called quietly. "Come." He nodded with his head at the new seat available next to him.

The gesture brought a small smile to her face but she shook her head. Truth be told she was utterly exhausted and didn't want to stand up again. That and being in between Xander's thighs was a place of security and comfort now even though it was a sign of low stature to them.

"It's warmer down here." She said softly which was true but not the real reason why she didn't want to move. Mira looked down at her plate that was on her crossed legs. Even picking up a spoon seemed like such a big task right now.

The rest of dinner was eaten in silence. Everyone was tired, stressed, and on edge. General Sten seemed to always silently observe and by the look on his face, judge everyone as well.

Xander swung his left leg over the end of the bench to be able to stand up without disturbing Mira. He walked a short distance away to put his dirty plate with the rest and grab a hot cup of tea to drink.

Mira still sat unmoving and her food untouched. She had tried to get herself to move, to eat, or to do anything but she just couldn't. She just couldn't do anything but stare lifelessly at the plate. It was if a switch in her body had turned off. All she could think about right now was to lay down and close her eyes.

"Xan." She breathed out to get his attention even though he was heading back to her.

"How dare you disrespect our Commander!!" One of General Sten's men sitting across the fire pit shouted in anger and jumped up ready for a fight. He spoke in English so Mira knew what he said.