Chapter 48

Mira opened her eyes...everything was slightly hazy and blurry. Her body felt strange as she tried to get her bearings. There was a lot of chaos and loud noises all around her. She tried to focus on the scene before her to clear the brain fog.

Chase...it was Chase. He was on his back and a huge Grizzle was trying to rip into him.

Samuel...she didn't see him but she could hear him shouting as he was also fighting not far off.

Suddenly another Grizzly came barreling out of nowhere but it passed her and was going to Chase. Instead of helping Chase, the Grizzly joined in the attack against him.

No...stop...leave him alone. Mira tried to stand up and help him but her body felt strange and awkward. She stumbled a bit and something white below her caught the corner of her eye. She looked down. Paws. Wolf paws covered in soft silky white fur. Her focus went from the white paws to the tiny puddle of water in the ground between them. A wolf's face stared back at her. Red eyes, soft white fur, pointed ears. Mira took it all in. A moment that she never thought would happen in her life when she didn't shift at 16 like normal wolves.

"Mira" Cahira's voice cut through her thoughts. "We have work to do."

She looked up at the war that was going on around them. Hell yeah we do. Chase.

Mira bolted towards him and crashed into the first Grizzly who was on top of Chase. You could hear the crack of his ribs upon impact. The blow threw him off Chase and he stumbled as he tried to regain himself.

Seconds after crashing into the first Grizzly, Mira lunged towards the second one next to Chase and ripped out his throat. She was very small compared to their sizes which gave her a perfect angle in all their weak spots.

After ripping out his throat, she jumped over Chase to finish off the first Grizzly with the cracked ribs. Mira paused and waited for Chase to get back on his paws. She looked at him and nodded her head towards him to ask if he was okay.

Chase shook his head in reply that he was fine and ready for more. Mira turned to face towards the rest of the battle. Let's end this.

                                                                                           ***

Xerxes took off into the woods when Xander started to run towards him. Both the brothers tore through the woods with the giant blood moon overhead as the only source of light. The woods were lit with a light red hue adding an ominous feeling to the battle that would eventually commence.

Xerxes raced up a hill with ease and slowed to a stop near the top. At the top of the hill was a small clearing from the dense forest. It only took a few seconds for Xander to make it to the top. He stopped at the edge of the clearing and stared at his big brother wordlessly.

Xerxes stood with his head turned up at the sky. He heaved a deep breath and looked at Xander. His canines extended and his eyes changed color. His voice came out distorted and deathly as he half shifted. "Are you ready little brother?"

Xander was not interested in sentimental conversation. In his eyes, his ties to his brother died the day he killed their mother. Simultaneously they started to sprint towards each other. In the last second before a head on collision, they shifted into their Grizzlies and smashed into each other with no hesitation. They were pretty well matched size wise but Xerxes's demon bear was absolutely feral and out for blood.