Chapter 8

Xander sighed as he finally reached his den late that night. Samuel's group returning early suddenly created more work for him today. He thought keeping Mira in his den would reduce problems. However yet again a precarious situation happened. Trouble seemed to follow that little she-wolf wherever she went.

Samuel wasn't particularly violent and cruel like most Grizzlies towards wolves but still no one takes a knife thrown at them kindly. That pup was going to ruin all his good kitchen knives.

Xander took off his shirt and threw it on top of the washing machine. He paused and realized that there were not one but two hearts beating upstairs. He frowned at the thought of unwanted company. He headed upstairs and could hear that someone was in his bedroom. By the rates of both hearts they were both asleep.

Who the hell would dare- I swear by Thor if Samuel is in my bed I am going to rip his-

He turned the door knob and swung the door open. At first he couldn't see anybody but finally spotted her small body curled up on the edge of his fur blankets. Pup? If she is here then who- Xander closed eyes and sighed. He forgot that every once in a while Samuel would annoy him and sleep in his guest room. She probably didn't want to cause a scene and didn't say anything to him. That idiot is dumber than a sloth bear-

The sound of Mira stirring jerked him out of his thoughts and he quickly but quietly shut his bedroom door to block out the light that was streaming inside. He stayed still until her breathing indicated she was in a deep sleep about a minute later. He really didn't want to bother her and decided to just sleep beside her. He always got up much earlier than her anyway.

As quietly as Xander could he laid down on the other side of the furs. He figured he best keep his pants on just in case she did wake up. This girl always acted on assumptions and the outcomes were unpredictable. He put his right hand under his head and turned to look at her sleeping.

She was so small and looked so peaceful. Her long white hair was almost shining and was cascaded all over her. While sleeping she looked so innocent when in reality she seemed to bring chaos wherever she went.

He has only had her for a few days but didn't really mind all the crazy events. It brought a fresh change of pace in his usual mundane life. Sure Samuel had always been there before to annoy him. However if Samuel had ever slept in his bed he probably would have strangled him. Finding her in his bed didn't bother him one bit which was strange to him.

If any Grizzly had defied him like she did he would have ripped his arms off by now. With her it was different. He never felt angry or threatened by her challenges and attacks. While laying there he could smell her scent clearly now. She smelled of fresh tart strawberries and a hint of mint. It was a soft and soothing scent to him and brought him to slumber quicker than normal.

***

Over the next few days Mira was kept in the cabin and just cleaned it every single day. When her shoulder and ribs felt better she dusted all the bookshelves, washed the windows, and scrubbed the bathrooms.

Still being isolated and not knowing how her pack members were faring was driving her mad. She tried to entertain herself by cooking the most elaborate meals she could remember how to make. Another one of her duties was to make a grocery list of whatever was needed. Mira tried to read a book but found out that not one single book was in English. They were all in Old Norse with no dictionary or way to learn it.

Ever since that first day she met Captain Samuel he had never slept in her room again. As far as she knew the Commander didn't come into the room she slept in that night but she didn't dare ask if he did or not.