49. My Haven

Yeon Yi-joo

What are you?”

“A genius?”

Everyone's jaw dropped to the ground as mom(Sujin) got everything right in one go.

“I used to be a part of my middle school band”, Sujin awkwardly murmured, running her hand through her hair.

Not only I was surprised that mom did music, she also knew what she was doing when she's just seventeen. I couldn't even imagine what would have happened if she received the right training and support she deserved.

“I told you she's good”, Majoo looked at her, smiling from ear to ear.

I caught him and Sujin flirt countless times. I couldn't figure out if that was something which was on my favor or not.  Because mom and dad were not together in the past and their relationship was unable to make it. I wondered whether I should play a cupid or pull them apart before anything happens.

But if I did pull them apart, I would not exist in the future. Everything was a mess inside my mind.  Eungyeol ditched me saying he had an important work to do which had to be with the girl he likes. And now Majoo, Sujin, Yi-chan, Si-guk and Saebum were practicing for the festival after successfully sneaking us all inside the auditorium.

But my so-called boyfriend was still nowhere to be found, making me wonder if we really dated. Even if we did, one thing wouldn't make sense. It was not like I'd live here forever, why would I start something which would hurt the both of us anyway? He was from the past, my father's friend to be certain.

There is only one answer. My love towards him was stronger than the pain it was going to cause in the future. I knew it's going to hurt, but he didn't. It felt so wrong.

Was I being selfish?

Isn't it better if we pretend nothing happened between us?

But just thinking about breaking up with him brought chills throughout my body. I only saw him for a few minutes when I woke up. But the scene where those tears glistening in his eyes kept playing on repeat inside my mind. My heart ached thinking about him. I wanted to see him. I wanted to give him a tight hug and say that everything will be alright. Nonetheless he was still nowhere to be seen.

It was ironic how I was missing a stranger, whom I met today. Maybe my heart remembers him, but my mind doesn't? Because nothing about him felt unfamiliar. His eyes, his voice, everything I was in those few minutes felt so damn familiar.

I was getting all kinds of thoughts at this point.

However I decided not to give my brain so much of burden as I walked towards the stage where they were practicing.

“Need something?” Majoo questioned as he saw me walking near them.

I clutched the book I found in my room tightly, as I mustered up my courage and inquired, “I wanted to ask about Hyunyul. Is he not coming?”

“I called him, but his brother said he's not home," Si-guk informed.

Not home?

It was almost midnight.

“Is that so?” A pout appeared on my face, feeling disappointed for looking forward to meeting him again. I thought he'd be coming here because he was also a member of the band.

“Don't worry eonni, he'll be here soon”, Sujin comes and pats my hand.

“But why isn't he here? Did we fight before the accident happened or—”, I paused as tears dwelled in my eyes.

He doesn't like me enough to care?

“Considering it's Hyunyul, he must have gone to beat the shit out of the people who hurt you”, Saebum pounded all his thoughts.

“Are you serious?” My eyes widened with disbelief.

“Maybe, it's Hyunyul we're talking about”, Si-guk also joins.

What if he's hurt? That's why he was not at home—”

But before I could complete my words, the auditorium's door busted open, revealing him.

Kang Hyunyul.

Without giving it a single thought, I walked towards him as fast as I could. My body was tired as fuck, but I didn't care about it and called his name.

“Yah! Kang Hyunyul!!”

He stood near the door still, gazing my forehead as I walked near him, grabbing his hand, as if he'd disappear again if I don't hold him.

“Where did you go? Is it okay for a boyfriend to be like this when his girlfriend is this hurt? I do understand that I remember nothing about you, but I've been waiting for you, si—”

“I'm sorry”, he cut off my words, pulling me into a hug.

My body was frozen for a moment. But the warmness his hug radiated made me crave  it more, so I hugged him back, resting my cheek on his chest as I heard his fasten heartbeats.

It felt like I was in my haven. All my worries vanished into thin air, making me realize why I was with him regardless of the situation I was in.

“I promise that I won't leave you alone anymore”, he whispered into my ears.

I pulled apart just a little, wanting to take a look at his face. He was smiling through tears. I never thought someone's smile would break my heart so badly.

My eyes blurred with tears as I blinked them off, cupping his face, “I'm sorry for not remembering you”, I cleared my throat as it pained as I spoke and continued, “But I promise you one thing, I think I really like you”

He opened his mouth to speak but got interrupted by someone calling his name. We both looked at the door and saw a group of gangsters.

“Kang Hyunyul-ie, Surprise!!!”

A/N:
It took me forever to write this chapter.

Do vote and comment if you liked it ❤️

Thank you for reading 😚🖤

Luv y'all 💞