38. Brightest star in the sky

Yeon Yi-joo

“Yahh, your eyes!” Eungyeol exclaimed, without wasting a second after getting a look of my face.

I cried.

I cried myself to sleep, or, maybe, more like I cried the whole night until dawn. After making up with him last night, I realized how precious him and his friendship was. And I was not an eejit, so I decided that yesterday would be the last day I'd ever cry over my feelings towards him. So I ended up staying the entire night crying and that's how my eyes were all swollen. But I had already come up with an excuse for that, “I stole Yi-chan's manhwa and stayed up all night," I replied nonchalantly, like I practiced in the morning.

Crying?” He questions, raising his eyebrows.

“It was sad, okay?” I answered almost immediately, I didn't lie this time, though.

It was sad.

So fucking sad.

“You are crazy”, he shook his head, laughing at my words.

“Not more than you”, I mumbled to myself, but Eungyeol caught it.

Is that so?” He walked closer to me, making me go crazy. My body was getting hotter as time passed by, but then he placed his hands on my shoulder, looking into my eyes.

Kill me.

Or else, I would have died due to my heart. It was beating abnormally.

Out of nowhere, he turned me around, pulling me into a headlock, “yahh! Are you crazy? Leave me”, I tapped his hands, waiting for him to free me, but he didn't. So I pinched his arms, making him pushed me away.

“Don't fuss, okay?” I hit his back playfully, after setting my tie which was messed up because of him.

“Mian, mian”

I genuinely smiled at him this time, things were getting back to normal. On the way to school, he told me about what happened when he left us. It turned out that he was also hospitalized and Chungha was the only daughter of a chaebol family. She was abused by the lady who was supposed to be our school's so-called principal, who was also taking care of Chungha since her mother left. I felt bad about not knowing anything about Chungha, even though I saw her almost every day.

We both almost reached school, and he told me about everything, except what was going on with Sekyung and him. I mustered up the courage to ask him, “What about you liking Sekyung-”

But my words were cut off by Sujin.

Eonni-yaaaaaaa”

I'll ask him later.

Because somewhere or the other I felt he was doing this to keep her away from Yi-chan.

Oppa, annyeong!” She smiled at Eungyeol and then gazed between me and him, “So you guys made up?”

“Gyeol-ah, I have to talk to Sujin. You can go to the class first”

“Class? I have to wash the swimming pool as punishment. You should have taken me with you as well”, he whined.

That day, when Yi-chan brought a truck into the school, everyone, except me, got punishment. Just because I ran away before they could catch me.

“I went to restroom and someone was busy fighting so......”, I rolled my eyes, teasing him.

You”, he pointed his finger at me. I folded my hands and raised my eyebrow, challenging him.

“I do what to hit you, but your boyfriend is shooting a laser from behind and my life is precious, so I'm leaving now”, he ran away before I could register his words into my mind.