14. Friend?

Yeon Yi-joo

"How did it go?"

Eungyeol shook his head, as he let out a sigh. Patting on his shoulder I reasoned, "Gwaenchana, she was just being careful"

Before the school started Eungyeol met Chungha Ajhumma outside the school but she avoided him. It was a very obvious reaction from her side. And now, Eungyeol came sneaking inside during my break.

He wanted to join the band Yi-chan was forming and he supposedly had a plan of action which he didn't tell me about, insisting it to be a secret.

"So? You found your mom?"

"Not yet. She's supposed to be in the junior class but I couldn't find her", I took out the watermelon popsicle from Eungyeol's hand as he removed the wrapped for me.

"Go and search once again. You'll find he-"

"Yeon Yi-joo", we both looked into each other's eyes as we heard someone calling my name. I pushed Eungyeol into the empty swimming pool and turned around hoping nobody saw him.

"Homeroom teacher is looking for you"

It was the class president. She left after informing me. I signed in relief and looked at Eungyeol. His shirt was now dirty with the dust inside that pool.

"I'm so sorry", I busted into laughter looking at his condition. "I'll meet you at Yi-chan's school once my lectures get over. I gotta go now, teacher is looking for me", and ran inside the building before he could scold me.

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

I smiled at Chungha after placing strawberry milk she was enjoying yesterday on her desk. She stared at me, contemplated by my actions.

I just wanted to, I gave her my book.

She took out her pen and wrote down, What do you want?

Nothing. I just wanted to be friends with you.

Friends?, She wrote and give me the book as I nodded at her question, "Friends", I used sign language this time.

"Friends", she copied my actions which made me jump into her arms, feeling ignited over her acceptance, wiping out that one tear which left my eye out of nowhere.

She pulled away and started writing something, Can you teach me sign language?

I would love to.

And just like that, I ended up getting a step closer to Chungha. I didn't really have any reason to do that but I felt getting closer to her would help Eungyeol in the future since we had no idea until when we were going to stay in the past. I waved Chungha a goodbye as she left in a car after the school ended.

I excitedly went to meet Eungyeol at Yi-chan's school as he told me to. Unlike my school, the security guard here was barely guarding the school gate which made it a lot easier for me to enter.

I busted the door open of the same room I visited yesterday as Yi-chan informed me it was the band room, "Yah, Ha Eu-", I paused when I noticed Eungyeol was not inside.