Chapter 73

In the corner of my eye, I saw Thief sternly watching at a plant.

The plant stood tall and proud, its delicate white flowers swaying in the gentle breeze, seemingly innocent amidst the lush greenery of the riverbank.

I walked towards him.

Trying to approach him in curiosity on whether he finally caught something edible. On whether he can be the hero of the day and get Crybaby's attention.

Afterall, the plant was neither of what she described a poisonous plant is.

It was neither shiny, nor hairy, nor spiky.

Instead, it rose out with slender stems adorned with delicate, lacy leaves.

I reached him, and with a careful hand I brushed my fingers against its stems.

"You found it."

He was taken aback. His lips agape, "It's white flowers... I might've seen them before."

"What do you think is it?" I asked.

"Something edible." He replied, his tone hesitant. "Let me call on the others to confirm."

Before he could step away, I reached out and grasp his hand.

"This'll come in handy." I said, slipping the dagger into his hand.

The dagger  that Lucas used to kill me.

His eyes widened, tracing it's delicate gold patterns, "What's this for?"

"To cut the stems off." I said, aware that how his gaze lingers on what's mine.

"Also this" I blurted out, thrusting the packs of biscuit into his hand. "Can you tell them you found these too? It's... Its so they wouldnt have to be wary."

His brows furrowed in disbelief. "Me?"

"It's my thanks for letting me stay.. And it's sealed so it's not tampered in any way."

His suspicion lingered like a shadow in the air, but after seconds of silence he accepted them with a strained nod.

"Thanks" he muttered tersely, his tone devoid of warmth as he pocketed the offering. "Just don't expect any favors".

"Of course," I nodded, a sense of relief washing over me as he accepted them without further protest.

As he turned back, proudly displaying the severed stem to Crybaby, a wave of jubilation rippled through the group, their silent cheers echoing through my eardrums.

And I began to wonder, what would happen when they began to ingest the hemlock?

How long would their euphoria last before the poison took hold, snuffing out their lives like candles in the wind?

It was a grim reality, one that took hold of ignorance.

We arrived back at the shelter.

It's not exactly hidden but it is one of the many abandoned buildings spread out in the area.

The thieves have already accustomed themselves to living in the dorm rooms, so instead of hiding like rats they stayed here. Refusing to live like they were in their childhood.

"Let's get cooking!" Mohawk announced, the other thieves scurrying to meet her as they each touched the plant. It was a large heap. At least the size of a baby elephant, enough to last them for 3 days.

As they were turning to touch the miracle plant, a sudden tingling sensation pricked at my fingertips.

And I thought, I should wash my hands before it spreads.