Chapter 57

3rd Person's POV

The only view that the 15 year-old Elise could have known in her life is the four corner cell she's kept in.

White paint is thick on the walls, while her bed is made out of clean wood thats's firmly attached to the floor. Like a hospital, it's to ensure there's no weapon she could hurt herself with.

"Ready!" That same voice echoed throughout the halls, and the little flimsy girl got ready by standing on the corner furthest from the door.

The door slammed open, and masked soldiers came in. Dragging her into the line of same bony kids. While forcing them to get a piece of paper.

She open it up and a number 10 is written in bold ink.

Her arms are hurting from the soldier's grip but she didnt dare voice out her concerns. Big guns are attached to their hips, while the only thing she have is the thin white fabric she draped over herself.

I could choke one with this fabric, then use his gun to kill the others.

She thought. Her hands trembling to the idea. It couldnt be fear because she's confident with her abilities but then will the other children be fine with this decision?

They're clothed, fed, and they were given a warm place to stay to.

Elise' have thought about it as long as she remembers if she was supposed to be grateful for everything or simply hate her fate.

"Move!" The soldier kicked her and she almost fell to her face. Thankfully, her friend Claire caught her in time.

"This is it!" She whispered, smiling from ear to ear.

"What's there to be excited about? Its all the same."

Claire nudged her side but it didnt wiped the pout Elise have on. "Come on. We're to be soldiers! The government mustve thought about it for a long time on how to help orphans like us-"

"More like using us. All that's nice here is the plentiful of food after every training." Elise couldnt lie that she's thankful for that atleast. The training schedule have always been abrupt, sometimes theres twice a week, sometimes it wouldnt even happen in months. But one thing for sure, they dont fail to make a feast.

"See? Theyre helping... Its like give and take. In return for helping us we're to serve our country with loyalty."

"Yeah. Yeah."

"Youre such a baby." She paused. "Look at this."

She discreetly opened her palm up to show a bronze coin. Its nothing special. No matter how Elise look at it, its just a normal 25 cents.

"What am I looking at?" She asked.

"You wont guess." She whispered excitedly, trying to hide her giggles as she hide the coin away. "Did you know it could write on walls?"

"The coin?"

"Yes! Ive been hiding my masterpieces behind the door."

Elise' eyes grew wide. "Youve been scribbling on the walls?! What if they found out?"

"Oh shush. How often do you see them enter our rooms? None. Besides Im honing my skills so when we get out of here I'll build a gallery to display my arts in. How about you? What do you want to do when we get out?"

Elise wondered.

She always want to get out. She wants to have the sun lay directly on her skin, and despite the cold, she wants to be able to touch snow. To catch them with her tongue. To make snow angels. Or just lay around.