Chapter 45

Ken's POV

It hurts....

I curl shut-eyed through the disheveled mess amongst dust and darkness. Im aching all over and there's needles pinning on my feet to where I landed.

I try to adjust my eyes as I try to perk up my hearing, though aside from my breathing, I can only hear squeaks from rodents. They scurry around me, curious if I am an unmoving flesh who welcomes to be gnawed on.

Almost..... I hear them having a meeting around my legs but I woke up in time. Now they scatter in a panic, they hide even though they have the advantage in the dark.

"Kennedy?" I hear a familiar voice calling me in the distance. His voice echoes like a song.

So soft.

Someday, Id tie him up to be my human lullaby.

"Here." I groan when I lift up my head. A throbbing headache suddenly stabs me, my world seems to go in a spin.

"Are you hurt?" He mumbles, his hand finally reaches me and he gently hugs me from the back. His warm breath fans close to my ear.

"I don't think so. I feel no broken bones and no blood." I responded yet the groans that left my lips says otherwise.

He squeezes me tight, "No bruises or even a graze?"

"Uhhhh..." He's asking a whole lot of questions, and its too dark to see anything . "I don't really know."

He releases a breath he's been holding.

The air got caught in my throat when he unconsciously presses his body closer. I can feel something poking on my back and its nowhere appropriate.

It's those two guys fault. They've shown and done things to me that will forever haunt my mind with improper desires.

The hand that was on my shoulders travels down to my arms. My senses heightened at my lack of sight. With these darkness, I feel like Im floating while the taps of rodents runs beneath me. The squeaks of the caterpillars as their hundreds of legs crawl along the walls. And maybe bats, twice my size, hanging above me -than when I raise my hand, my fingers would be chop off by their blade-like teeth.

This is hell -a place where I should be.

"I wont always be out watching you." He says, his fingers as soft like petals studies my arms like a unique specimen. He graces me with his doll like hands, stroking my skin with so much fondness. He lets out a breath on my nape, and a shiver almost give out my knees. "I wont always be there to protect you. So please promise me.....Stay away from danger."

"I can't say." I admitted. "We are in war. We are locked from safety. Danger is amongst us."

He gives up a sigh. "You're right. Ill do my best to not let them touch a strand of your hair. I swear... you're too good for this world." He swallowed thickly. "If only I have hands as big as a God's, then I can easily pick up the trash that sullies all that's beautiful and pure."

Surely, we're on the same building. And the most logical to be should be the floor below.

On the way up, we decided to stick to the stairs and didn't stop on any of the floors. Spiders had already formed webs on the ceiling, and the hollow path blows an eerie puff of wind that swung out glass windows.

I also look out for cameras. However, they're might as well be the eyes of flies because they are nowhere visible.

I've only seen the lobby, and it had been hours since. Im not sure what happened but this floor have been on a complete mayhem. Broken glass and debris lay haphazardly and a vile stench lingers in the air.

Rie stands in front of me.

A thought bubbles up in my throat, did he finally decided to kill me?

For all this chaos might be a trigger. Trauma makes a murderer, and now that he had gone it through twice I am blind to what makes him.

Though I feel nothing. Someone could announce a whole plan to kill me and I'd willingly walk through the path. I don't completely understand life nor am I looking forward to.

An uncontrollable twitch occurs in my head. I realized that I don't understand the idea of caring for myself.

"Kennedy." He keeps calling me by that name. A title that holds innocence. Though I embody the face of one, but beneath this skin is a void of complete darkness.

For my life revolves around nothing but black.

"Yes?" My voice came out as a murmur.

"Im sorry." He says. "I've grace you with nothing but filth. And I.... Because of my faults, I stained your eyes with my unclad flesh riddled from the truth of humanity."

I blink.

My mouth agape.

He keeps apologizing for things he's not at fault.

"Its alright. You dont have to..." I stopped for a moment. I cant form words half as beautiful to his.

"I wonder. If I didnt leave you, if I made sure that no one would take you away from me. Would you still look and talk to me the same? Back then when you still havent met those scums." His eyes darkened as he made it clear who he's talking about. "You talk so beautiful then, now you're quiet as a bunny."

He reaches for my cheeks. His eyes moves like he's studying me. "You have a bruise around your neck as big as handprints, and purple spots runs below your chest. If I were there, I wouldnt have let this happened to you."

He's interested in my skin and nothing more.

I stop myself from falling onto his words. He's a murderer. He sees me as a walking flesh. He flay off people's skin simply for his own satisfaction, a euphoria of some sort- a reward after successfully enticing his victims from sweet talks.

"Enough." I finally uttered. I should have called him off of his lies. He doesn't like bruises or colors in my skin because he plans deeper than that. He schemes far ahead. However, thunder rumbles in my belly and it overtook my thinking. "Im hungry."

I sigh.

I kept it in me instead. I have no plan to make more enemies as of the moment.

He's an ally for now, and I'll take that as an advantage.