Chapter 49

Mike stumbled for a few seconds before he drop to the floor.

A series of gasp rumbled on their throats as their friend's brain took a leap like chunks of snow. And when he hit his already fragile head onto the hard floor, it split like a cookie burned in the oven. His thick body couldn't cushion the fall and the discreet crack sings in my ears like a peaceful bliss.

But it ended in only seconds, and the momentary peace brought out an unfathomable frenzy raging in the depths of my soul.

They couldn't mask the fear that twisted their face. For a moment they stand there frozen but I wouldn't let a few seconds eat up my time. Despite my protest of staying with Rie, the bubble inside of me is reaching for him like a magnet. That I should comfort him. That I should wrap him up with my arms and let him lay on my chest till his worries go away.

Im sick, I know. I couldn't make up my mind.

One moment I wanted to get away, then the next I'd be the one to run back on their side.

Can I be blamed? When Im alone, I get warped into the coldness and I have nothing to get warm with. I only have monsters buried in the snow, and a single sound of my breath could wake their sinister murmuring voices.

I need to go to him quick.

"That's not fair." Somehow I hear Jason mumble from the distance. The girls are shivering behind him, and his eyes bulge from dread. However, he's trying to restrain the fear from creeping up to his throat."I shouldn't have come here. It wouldn't be fair when you have guns, and we have these sticks."

I reloaded the gun. I don't have time to listen to his rambling.

I steadied my aim on his skull. It's rare to find a gun, especially fully loaded, it's a blessing I shouldn't waste.

"W-what else do you have there?" His voice is breaking. I know his stalling time. "How about let's make a deal huh? Let's be honest, we're all fighting for the reward. How about we work together instead."

A lie. Yet he speaks of a reward Im unfamiliar with. Maybe I can try to hear him out.

"Im listening."

He lightens up. "The first group have a different reward, right? Maybe another million dollars. If we work together and we win, we'll have 2 million altogether!" He gushed in excitement.

I never heard of a reward. We were suppose to graduate in a few months and leave this island for good. We were suppose to meet in the real world where we finally see civilization instead of woods, and wrap around wrists are expensive watches that tells time instead of boring bands that tightly etch onto our skin.

Now, we couldn't have a reunion and laugh it all off. Most are dead. And the only escape is to kill for more.

Jason keeps glancing to the girls and I feel an ick, disgusted even, that he still trying to impress them. Desperate to prove that he is a man.

The split-second of fear completely wiped up with confidence. I agree that he's above average in looks but not more than any of the boys out here, even his behavior is worst than the murderers I've hang with.

"Let's say that you'll decline because you probably got the place all track down, and maybe you're right! You have that advantage, knowing all the hiding spot and all."

"And I have a gun." I reminded him that he's life still depends on whether I pull on the trigger or not.

"And yes a gun but that will run out, especially if you use that on us. If you're lucky you might lose four more bullets but if not- well." He wont believe how great I am at holding my aim but Ill try to listen. I might get something valuable. "We have a better chance together."