Chapter 8

His fingers were like feathers around my wrist.

It has been a few minutes, and the blisters on my feet felt like they were digging deeper onto my skin.  Yet I don't flinch, I try to be unbothered, when my perpetrator holds me like an expensive delicate doll that holds too much value to have a single scratch.

He carries me onto his back when there are large tree roots crawling on the ground. Carried me like a princess over muddy soil, and feed me when my stomach grumbles from loss of breakfast. He gave me a face mask and told me to hold my breath whenever the wind blows an unappealing smell. Then he sings, so soft, so beautiful, to replace the scary whispers from the shadows that hides behind trees.

I wonder what he would do, if the perfect soft skin he overly assumes hides imperfection.

"Why are you doing this?" I found myself uttering my first question, though I don't expect to get an answer. It was too broad of a query, too predictable, and if in movies- an annoying question that drives the unintentional murder.

Right, this boy had been really kind and caring that I forgot that his true intention is to end my life.

A sudden pain put me to a halt. A sharp pebble managed to poked through the soles, and the little demons on my foot screams in misery. I couldn't help but groan, I tried to just walk this through but my silent hisses can no longer be sealed.

The boy turned to face me, his fingers dancing on my wrist still.

"What is it? Did I hurt you?" He checked on the skin where his hand  had lay, but honestly, he had been too gentle to place even a tiny bruise.

I wanted to scream, to rest, but I know that raising an issue would only near my death. Instead I asked, taking this opportunity when his attention is on me.

"Where are we going?"

His orbs now stares on mine, but he does not speak, his only respond was his free hand slowly creeping to climb up my shoulder. His grip tighter, but he is careful. It is enough to cause me a slight pain, but not enough to taint my skin with new colors.

"Don't worry, the dorm room is right ahead but it pains me to say that  you can't join me yet. I need to make sure that it's safe before I bring you to my room"

"What is in there that makes you wary?" I asked without a thought

His lips thinned to a grim, "Pests, Kennedy. Ugly creatures that smelled of blood." He spat the words.

It didn't need a a second for me to know which creature he spoke of. For in this land, only humans are capable of spilling another's blood.

I nodded quietly, aware of the risk of asking questions.

He turned to lead once again.

After a few series of steps, the dim land had turn darker. Once I recognized the ugly flesh of trees, but then it turned into silhouettes, then shadows, then nothing at all. As if everything has been consumed with darkness.

Even him. I can't see him. I almost thought that he had disappear but the soft uncalloused hands still clinging on my wrist.

When we stop walking, something clicks that made a small light appear. A flashlight not bigger than a thumb reveals the beautiful boy who almost distracted me of where we are. A cave has transformed from giant tree roots. Although bugs have already disperse from the light, it's scratching sounds and small screeches can be heard everywhere.

I can't control my expression. It's feels unpleasant, this.......this is......

THIS IS MY WORSE NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!

"You truly are interesting"

I look at him with still wide eyes.

"Most girls would usually scream from seeing bugs -I mean, it's not like I bring them to such room. My house is squeaky clean! I clean them. I promise."

"Yes." I blurted, I don't even know what I agreed into.

"Yes, yeah" He nods with his angel-like smile. Then softly touch both of my shoulders. "I need you to stay here, okay? I can lock you here, so don't worry about trespassers. It's to protect you. You heard what that host said right? Our classmates are criminals, murderers! I'll just look around the area, and if it's safe enough I can get you back to my dorm room."

I nod but not too quickly, just enough to avoid him seeing the smile that I keep in me.

"That's right. You're my perfect Kennedy." His pats are like flowers against my head, but I know, the moment he holds a knife they'll be worse than thorns.