James had just scooped up a spoonful of porridge to feed her when her head fell on his shoulder.

James' hand which was holding the spoon froze. He immediately looked at Amelia, only to see that her eyes were tightly closed as if she had passed out.

His face paled, and his heart stopped beating.

In fright, he picked Amelia up, trembling in terror as he ran out the door.

"Here!!!"

The servants and bodyguards rushed over when they heard his panicked and anxious voice.

"To the hospital!!!"

The bodyguards immediately went to fetch the car.

After James carried the unconscious Amelia into the car, staring at that thin and bloodless face, his heart ached to the point of suffocation.

What the hell was he doing? If she wanted to leave, he should have let her go. Why was he pressuring her to stay? Was he trying to force her to death again?

James' tightened his grip as he held her tightly in his arms. In his bloodshot eyes, apart from fear, regret was all that remained.

The car soon arrived at the hospital. He rushed into the emergency room with Amelia in his arms....

When the director received the call, he wasted no time hurrying over to push the unconscious patient into the emergency operating room.

Once again, James slumped onto the cold floor. Looking at the closed door, his whole body seemed to have been sucked emptied, rendering him soulless.

It wasn't until the director reappeared that he slowly raised his to look at the man in the white coat eyes.

"Mr. Evans, don't worry. It's a result of malnutrition and exhaustion that she fainted all of a sudden. It's nothing serious."

Hearing those words, a slight sensation pricked in James' numb heart...

He raised his eyes to look at the director. "What about other parts of her body..."

The director reassured him in a gentle voice, "There isn't any other problem, don't worry about it."

His fingers resting on the knee curled up. Although he knew the answer, he refused to give up. He asked, "Is she pregnant?"

The director was visibly stunned before he shook his head. "No, it's quite difficult for Ms. Garcia to get pregnant..."

James' face was pale as he asked, his voice trembling in disbelief, "Why?"

The director told the truth. "Firstly, she took too many birth control pills, secondly, her body has suffered physical trauma through all sorts of major operations, and thirdly, the medicine she's now taking has serious side effects."

Birth control pills....

The three words bolted James's heart like a lightning strike, draining his face of colors as if he had lost all the blood circulating in his body.

He wanted a child to keep her by his side, but little had he expected a past mistake of his had crushed the last hope he had for the past few days.

His thin lips curled into a soft self-deprecating smirk as he hyperventilated, laughing till tears streamed down his face...

It was the first time the director witnessed James, who had always been mean and resolute, show such a distressed expression on his face, rendering him slightly at a loss.

"Mr-Mr. Evans, you..."

The tears in James' eyes dried as his icy gaze swept past the director.

The stare, which was enough to freeze one to death, prompted the director to make the wise decision to retreat.