Chapter 28

From the flight from New York City all the way to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Haruhi slept. She couldn't hold her eyes open, even though she wished desperately that she could watch the cities disappear and reappear.

She awoke to the shuddering of the plane. Turbulence, she thought sleepily. We must be landing.

She lazily shifted her eyes to Tamaki, who was gripping the armrest with white knuckles. She sat up immediately and placed her hand over his, smiling reassuringly when he glanced at her. He grimaced, but she suspected it was the only semblance of a smile he could muster. She rubbed circles on the back of his hand while she one-handedly fastened her seatbelt.

After they landed, Tamaki released a long, relieved breath. Haruhi giggled and stood, reaching above them to grab their bags.

"I wish you would have let me buy the tickets for first class," Tamaki complained, standing beside her to help.

Haruhi rolled her eyes. "It's too much, Senpai. Besides, we're not here to relax."

A flutter went through her heart as she felt Tamaki's chest brush her back. "Let me get those," he murmured, more of his midsection touching her shoulders when he reached further back in the storage compartment. She tried breathing; she failed.

"Excuse me," an American woman said, rushing past them to the opening plane door. She was the first to get off.

"Seems I'm not alone in my fear of flight," Tamaki mumbled. Haruhi sighed and followed the woman's lead, exiting the plane with their luggage in tow. Rei had a different seat, so they waited until she got off to go into the airport.

"So where's our first stop?" Haruhi asked Rei through a yawn.

"My rental car, and then the Holiday Inn."

Haruhi and Tamaki simultaneously drew their eyebrows together in confusion. "The what?" she wondered.

Rei smiled. "Sorry. It's an American hotel. Oh, and you might want to start using English from here on because nobody knows Japanese here."

-&-

English was hard.

Yeah, she was the best at English in her class, but here, in action, it was different. Rei had it down pat, and Tamaki didn't even try. He had opted for French rather than English for foreign language class.

People in Louisiana must use a lot of slang, because half of what she heard wasn't what she had learned. They had funny accents, too, so it was harder to understand. Well, she had a month to get used to it.

When they got to the hotel--Holiday Inn, is what the sign said (it's even harder to read English)--they were going to get a normal room, but Tamaki insisted he rent one suite (out of the four) that they had.

"Honestly, I can afford it," Tamaki coaxed. The Americans passing by eyed him curiously--probably because he wasn't speaking English. And because he's completely gorgeous with his hair all mussed up like that. "Please, let me pay, Rei. We didn't even get first class on the planes, thanks to Haruhi."

Haruhi hit him on the arm, but he ignored her.

Rei pursed her lips. "You really want to pay for a suite? They aren't that spectacular here."

"I don't care. Please, just take advantage of my wealth. Really, I insist."

Rei looked to Haruhi. She shrugged. It's not like he was going to change his mind. He was too generous sometimes.

"All right, give us a suite," Rei told the lady behind the counter with a smile. The lady immediately began tapping at keys and gave them their key-card. She bid them farewell and they left to the suite, which happened to have a beautiful view of the Baton Rouge city lights.