Chapter 5

Haruhi narrowed her eyes as some girl came in the room, blubbering as much as she was. But it seemed fake to her. "Kayli?" Tamaki asked in a voice that made her bristle. "What's the matter?"

Kayli took a deep breath, but then looked at Haruhi. The girl's expression faltered and she caught a small flash of confusion and annoyance. "Who's this?"

Haruhi felt Tamaki look down at her and his tone shifted to an even warmer one than with Kayli. "Haruhi, this is Kayli, my, um... Acquaintance."

Before she could ponder his choice of words, Kayli spoke stiffly, almost rudely. "Pleased to meet you." In response, she nodded curtly.

"What's going on, Kayli? Why did you come in here? And how did you find me?"

"The servants told me," Kayli whispered. "Tamaki, it's your grandmother."

Tamaki froze around her, imprisoning her, not allowing Haruhi to see his expression. "What?" he asked breathlessly.

"She's had a heart attack. Come on, a car's waiting for us!" Kayli grabbed Tamaki's hand, but he wouldn't budge. Haruhi managed to look up, only to see the empty, blank, dead look in his eyes.

"Tamaki?" she croaked. She noticed a flicker of life and it fueled her next words. "Tamaki, come on. Your grandmother needs help. We have to go. We have to go to the hospital."

Tamaki blinked once and stared into her eyes. "Will you stay with me?" he asked softly.

The scared look in his eyes made her agree, and after standing shakily, they followed Kayli out the door and into the limousine.

-&-

"Grandmother!" Tamaki exclaimed, rushing to her side. Haruhi had only seen his grandma once, and she looked much healthier then. Now, bedridden, she looked much more frail, with a multitude of tubes and IV's protruding from her limbs.

Tamaki held his grandmother's hand tightly, bending over her to block the bright light so she could open her eyes. "Grandmother, I'm here."

"Tamaki...?" she rasped. Her eyes opened and looked around, but could never seem to find him. Her heart monitor fluctuated, and the doctor had to usher Haruhi and Kayli out of the room.

"Only family members allowed," he said.

"I'm part of the family!" Kayli whined, but the doctor didn't listen. Haruhi was silent the whole time, only able to listen and watch.

Kayli went quiet too, and after a moment, they simultaneously sat in the only two chairs. Haruhi stared at the ground, but glanced over to her company as she heard small sniffles and snobs.

"Poor Tamaki," Kayli whispered. Whether it was to herself or to Haruhi, Haruhi didn't know, but she nodded her head in agreement nevertheless.

"Who are you, anyway?" Kayli suddenly said snidely. "Why are you even here? How do you know Tamaki?"

Haruhi blinked at her, not giving her the satisfaction of getting irritated. "Tamaki and I are in a host club together. We go to the same school."

Kayli laughed. It wasn't a nice laugh. "You? A host?"

"Yeah. We have lots of fun together," Haruhi added, knowing that would get under skin. (She was obviously into Tamaki.) "He actually saved my life last year. Twice."

Why am I bragging to this girl? What does she matter? Is it because she could somehow be important to Tamaki? If that's true, why does that matter?

"Did he?" She flipped her sleek blond hair over her left shoulder, creating a curtain between them.

"Mhmm," Haruhi said absently, thinking back on those moments herself. He had held her on both accounts--she could still feel the sensation of his arms clutching her to his body.

Haruhi rubbed her bare arms and wished she was dressed in something a little less revealing. She felt like she was half naked. Well, to some degree, she was.

"You still haven't answered my question."

Haruhi looked to Kayli again with confusion. "What?"

"Who are you?" she repeated.

"Haruhi Fujiouka," she offered easily.

Kayli rolled her eyes. "No, stupid, who are you to Tamaki?"

Haruhi muted herself; the question had taken her by surprise. Who are you to Tamaki? She didn't know. "Who are you to him?" she replied in a low voice.

"I'm his girlfriend."