Chapter 55

~3rd POV~

They had switched on some music, keeping it low enough so they could still hear each other talk as they sat around, drinking and eating the pizza that had just come. They put a pause on games, just so they could all get settled. A lot of them getting another drink—Akaashi and Daichi getting their firsts.

Oikawa basically chugs his second drink, despite everyone's judgment. He just has a feeling he's going to need it. The only one who Oikawa realizes doesn't say anything is Iwaizumi since he's nowhere to be seen. It puzzles the boy who once he realizes looks around the room, also taking note Mattsun is missing as well. No one else seems to notice or pay attention, all too caught up in the lively conversation floating around.

Oikawa finishes off his drink, getting teased by Suga as he goes to get another, flipping the boy off as he walks back to the kitchen. He'll go look for the two missing boys after.

"You're actually the dumbest person ever." Oikawa freezes before he enters the room, hearing the voices of the missing boys. He really shouldn't eavesdrop...but come on. Hoe can he not?

So he stands by the entrance, just out of sight, peering in to see Iwaizumi, angry and Mattsun desperate.

"I—"

"How could you not tell him?" Iwaizumi looks at the boy in disbelief who meets the gaze with guilt.

"I know okay I know it's bad but—"

"This is more than bad and you know it." The logical part of Oikawa's brain snaps back in control and he walks into the entrance of the kitchen. This definitely sounds too serious. Something he definitely shouldn't know. "How could you not tell him you—" Oikawa clears his throat, drawing their attention and stopping whatever Iwaizumi was about to say. He knows this is about Makki. It's clear Mattsun fucked up again and he honestly wants no part in whatever the hell he did.

"Everything okay?" He asks genuinely. Iwaizumi sighs and Mattsun looks away, hugging himself.

"Could be better." Iwaizumi shoots Mattsun a little glare who quickly meets it with a pleading look.

"Just promise you won't, okay?" Mattsun asks and Iwaizumi just looks at him for a moment. Debating. Oikawa honestly wouldn't be surprised if Iwaizumi said no. Even though he doesn't know what this is about, he doesn't think he's ever seen Iwaizumi like this. Like...protective...

"You're going to hurt him." Mattsun gulps and looks like he absolutely feels awful.

"Promise me, Hajime." The first name takes Oikawa by surprise and Iwaizumi just looks at him again.

"Fine." Mattsun sighs in relief as Iwaizumi just gives him an almost disappointed look.

"Thank you."

"Just because I don't doesn't mean the group won't. This could easily get out, are you prepared for that." Mattsun looks down again. "Mattsun."

"I'll figure it out, okay?" Iwaizumi gives a little eye roll, not believing him but then nods. Mattsun gives a weak, grateful smile before looking at Oikawa. "Yeah, everything is fine." He says more for himself since it's clear Oikawa doesn't believe that. Not after everything he heard. Mattsun looks at Iwaizumi one more time before hesitantly leaving the kitchen. Oikawa watches him go before looking back at Iwaizumi who sighs and grabs a cup to make a drink.

"I'm guessing you can't tell me what that was about." Oikawa steps toward him as Iwaizumi pours a generous amount of vodka into a cup. Oikawa grabs a cup and Iwaizumi passes him the bottle.

"Sadly no but I truly have no doubt in my mind you'll learn sooner or later." He pours some coke into his cup while Oikawa fills his own cup with vodka and fruit punch.