Eyes Open

"Garnet, that spin was terrible!" her mom exclaimed over the music.

Garnet stopped, panting.

"Mom, I'm exhausted!"

"I don't care if you're dying! Don't be sloppy!"

Garnet's eyes filled with tears. "Mom, come on. I've been at this for two hours. Just give me ten minutes."

"No. Drink some water right now and do the dance without being sloppy, then you can take a break."

Garnet furiously wiped at her eyes and took a shaky breath, trying to compose herself. She took a huge gulp of water, relishing the cool relief to her tired body.

"Are you going to stop crying?" her mom asked.

She took a deep, calming breath, tuned her mother out, and composed herself. She would let everything out while she did her jazz routine, hopefully for the last time. She just had to get through it.

The opening of Michael Buble's version of Fever started. 

Garnet absolutely threw herself into the dance, moving her body to the seductive beat. She channeled all of her anger into the dance, going all out. She nailed every last move, even the ones she was self-conscious about, and she knew it.

She collapsed in a heap when she finished.

Jessica and Sean ran to her, concerned, but her mother merely told her that was good and she could rest now and took a call on her cell, leaving the room.

"My God, Garnet, that was flawless," Jessica gushed, astonished. "Your mom is such a bitch. Are you okay?"

Sean put a hand on her head. "You're warm. Come get some water."

"I can't," she admitted. "I can't move right now."

She was overheated and sore. She literally couldn't move.

He scooped her up, bridal style, and carried her to her dance bag. He handed her the handheld automatic fan and sent Jessica to fill up her second water bottle as he handed her the full one.

"Thank you."

She let the fan dry the sweat drenching her face while she tried not to read too much into his actions.

"No problem. That was amazing, by the way."

She didn't even have the energy to blush...but she would have if she did.

"Thanks."

"Mhm. Does your mom always push you like that?" he asked.

"Yeah. It bothered me a lot when I was little but I've gotten used to it. It just bothered me more today than it normally does."

She took another huge sip of water.

"I don't even know what she was talking about. You looked amazing the whole time."

She smiled gratefully. "Oh, no, she was right. But thank you."

"She was not. You were terrific."

She blushed now, feeling much better.

"You're sweet."

"I try."

They sat in silence. She studied him from the corner of her eye, wondering if the attraction between them was one-sided.

Jessica came back, reassuring her and giving her the fresh water. Garnet sipped it and reached for the clif bar in her bag. She ate it and finished the water.