Unexpected

Garnet was woken up by a tapping noise on her window. She shot up, clutching the sheets to her chest, and looked towards the source. But her curtains were drawn and she couldn't see anything. She was freaking out, and she didn't know why. All she could think was 'He found me. He is here.'

"Sean?" she asked, voice panicked.

He was in her room within fifteen seconds, running a hand through his hair, stifling a yawn, but still looking alert for someone who had literally just woken up.

"What is it?" he asked.

She pointed to the window. 

He crept to the window and threw the curtains open, revealing a tree branch that was blowing in the wind, hitting her the glass and making the tapping sound.

No stalker.

Nothing but a tree.

She leaned back against her pillows, heart pounding. She was relieved, but there was still a strange feeling she couldn't seem to shake. 

"Sorry," she muttered, embarassed.

"Don't be," he said, voice tired. "I'm glad you called me in here first, instead of invesitating."

He yawned.

"Go back to bed."

He smiled blearily. "Will do. Don't hesitate to get me if you need me, okay?"

"Okay."

She smiled and he went back to his room. Her smile faded the minute he was in bed. She felt stupid and embarrassed and...scared. Like she wasn't in control.

Sighing, she rolled away from the window and pulled the covers up to her chin. She told herself it was okay, it would be fine, she was just scared because the noise had woken her from a deep sleep, it wouldn't happen again, she was safe.

She closed her eyes, but still couldn't shake the feeling that something was very wrong.

She rolled onto her back, throwing an arm over her eyes. She laid there for a few minutes, still not comfortable, still feeling weird.

She groaned.

"Garnet?" Sean asked from across the hall.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

She sighed. "Not really."

He was quiet for a second, then she heard him roll over. "Come here," he said quietly.

She hopped out of bed and padded to his room. He was laying to one side, patting the other. She quickly climbed under the covers and scooted towards him, burying her face in his neck.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I feel...weird."

"It's okay. Nothing is wrong. You can go to sleep. I'll protect you."

She smiled softly, sleepiness hitting her now that she was comfortable and safe.

"I know."

She closed her eyes and snuggled even closer to Sean, then let sleep finally claim her again.

The next time she woke up, it was to her mother screaming.

Garnet was up immediately, falling out of bed and pulling herself up, sprinting downstairs to the kitchen. Sean reached the room just after her, grabbing her around the waist and holding her tightly as their eyes landed on the open door to the back porch.

There were pictures of Garnet all around the yard, ones she hadn't even known existed. She ran to them, picking them up and looking at them in horror.