Better

Sean held Garnet's hand at the breakfast table the next morning, something that did not go unnoticed by anyone.

Garnet was too exhausted to even think about what that could mean for them or for her poor, confused heart, but was glad for the comfort he brought her.

Her parents said nothing, and Garnet merely squeezed his hand a little bit tighter as she ate her bowl of fruit and drank the tea her mom made her. She'd even put sugar in it, knowing Garnet just really needed it today.

"Be safe, honey," her mom told her as she got ready to leave.

"Yes ma'am."

"I love you, pumpkin," her dad told her, hugging her tightly.

"I love you, too."

She walked out to the car with Sean, clutching his hand tightly. Her heart pounded as she looked around wildly, searching for Mayne. The sight of the police car across the street and Sean's grip on her helped her to calm down slightly.

"You look really pretty today," Sean commented as he slid behind the wheel.

Garnet stopped in her tracks and looked down at herself. She was wearing black leggings and a gray Juliard hoodie that was three sizes too big for her. Her hair was down and wavy, but was frizzy; she'd overslept and didn't have time to style it. She had no makeup on, just chapstick, and she knew the bags under her eyes were horrible.

But the look Sean was giving her made her feel warm inside and very, very beautiful.

She blushed. "Thanks."

She climbed into the car, and Sean started to drive. Garnet leaned her head back with a soft sigh. The air between her and Sean wasn't tense or awkward for once. It was very, very nice.

Garnet just wished she knew what was going through his head. He was being so affectionate and nice.

Too nice. He wasn't acting like just her bodyguard anymore.

She wasn't complaining, but she did want some answers if he kept this up.

They pulled into a parking space right at the front, having gotten there before anyone else to talk to the principal. Sean turned to face her after he cut the car off, blushing. 

She didn't remember ever seeing Sean blush. What in the world was going on?

"Look, I...er..."

"What?" she asked.

He ran a hand through his hair. 

Garnet stared at him expectantly, heart pounding. Hope sprung up in her chest, but she tried to squash it.

"I can't just be your bodyguard anymore," he said slowly.

She blinked a few times, then sat a little taller in her seat.

"I don't want you to feel obligated to date me because of what's going on. I know I made a mistake telling you how I feel. But don't do this because you pity me. I'm a big girl. I know you're doing this because my parents are paying you and you feel guilty for hurting me, and you think you can keep me safer if I'm not mad at you, but just don't. Okay?"

He looked at her, a wounded expression on his face.

"Garnet, that's not why I'm doing this," he said seriously, his tone leaving absolutely no room for Garnet to question him.

"What?"

"You heard me. Dammit, Garnet, you are difficult to deal with. You question everything. You piss me off all the time. You make me jump through hoops to protect you because you can't stand to be dependent on someone. You hate authority, too, so that makes it even harder to control you. But you're also so damn nice and compassionate. And you're the strongest person I know, but you have a soft side. I think I'm the only one who has ever seen it, too. You're hilarious and weird and you have the best taste in music and movies. And oh my God, you're beautiful."