Too Good to Be True (2)

Christmas Break was spent in a lazy daze. For months, Garnet had upped her workouts and cut way back on calories and carbs to prepare for the lazy days, filled with rich foods and lounging. It had all been worth it.

She woke up around ten every day, lounged around with eggnog or hot chocolate, shared long, sweet kisses and lots of cuddling time with Sean, watched Christmas movies, baked, played in the snow, and secretly wrapped the presents she'd gotten everyone. Jessica spent a lot of time with her, not quite over the breakup just yet. It was absolutely perfect.

Christmas Eve came quickly. Jessica and her family joined Garnet, her mom and dad, and Sean for a huge dinner and a gift exchange.

They moved to the living room after dinner, munching on cookies and sipping egg nog. Sean handed out presents. Garnet opened a new expensive pair of pointe shoes that she'd wanted for months from Jessica's parents, a gift card for two hundred dollars to her favorite dance store from her parents, a mixed CD and a new pair of boots from Jessica, and a beautiful necklace with two charms: a delicate silver ballet shoe and a pretty, little heart made of tiny, dainty diamonds from Sean. 

The night was pretty perfect.

They sang a few carols once the parents got a little bit of alcohol in their systems, then Jessica and her parents were gone. Garnet's own parents kissed her and Sean on the foreheads, wished them good night, and headed upstairs.

Garnet set out two cookies and a small glass of non-alcoholic egg nog (her parents insisted that she pretend to believe in Santa, or she would get no presents in the morning) and led Sean upstairs for bed.

They paused outside of her bedroom door, then Garnet ushered him inside.

"Thank you for my necklace," she whispered, hand automatically reaching for it. "It's perfect."

He smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist. "I'm glad you like it."

"I love it."

He kissed the tip of her nose. "I love my albums. Thanks."

She smiled. "You're hard to shop for."

He chuckled. "Well, you did a good job."

She leaned her head against his chest, listening to his heartbeat. 

"Tonight was perfect," she murmured.

His hand found her hair and he stroked it slowly and softly.

"I know. It was, wasn't it?"

"Do you miss your family?"

He sighed. "No."

She pulled away slightly. He made a noise of protest, but she merely cocked her eyebrow expectantly.

"I was legally emancipated when I was sixteen. I don't have anyone besides my parents, and I sure don't miss them. We've never really loved each other."

She frowned, her eyes filling with tears thinking about his life.

He smiled sadly and put a hand on her cheek. "Don't be sad. I'm not. That's just how it goes sometimes. And besides, I have a family here. And a girl I love very, very much."

She kissed him softly. "I love you more."

He pulled her close, hugging her tightly. She'd never felt safer.

"Not possible."

"Mhm."

He kissed the top of her head. 

"You're tired. It was a long night. I'll see you in the morning."

She smiled. "Okay. Good night."