Too Good to Be True

Things quieted down in the next two weeks. Garnet still went to school and her workouts, still did her homework and stretched every day so she could do splits and aerials even though she was done dancing until she moved to New York. The only difference was that Sean went with her everywhere. 

She thought he'd been attentive and overly protective before, but she was mistaken.

He sat outside the bathroom while she was in the shower, sat in her room and read a book while she got ready in the morning, lounged on the couch while she did homework, waited outside of the lady's room when she had to go between classes. 

He moved to the guest room across the hall from hers and they left their doors open. 

Garnet was never alone. 

Ever. 

She truly appreciated the gesture, and she wanted to be safe. But she felt like she was slowly suffocating.

When she complained about it, Sean snapped at her, and they got into a fight, which usually led to Garnet storming up the stairs and Sean following quietly a few minutes later to sit outside her bedroom door. 

It was causing a serious strain on their relationship. 

It was also hurting her relationship with Jessica and the rest of her friends. Garnet couldn't go out and her friends didn't want to come over every night, especially when they could never be alone.

Garnet felt slightly safer, but she hated every minute of it.

And there had been no word from Mayne at all. 

Garnet sometimes wondered if they had been overreacting the night he called her, unable to recall exactly just how scared she'd been.

She couldn't wait to go to New York.

Jessica called her the night before mid-terms. Garnet was exempt from all of them, but still had to show up for first period so the school got money. She was reading a book, Sean lounging at the foot of her bed.

Garnet answered. "Hey."

Jessica sniffled. "Can you come over?" she asked, voice thick.

Garnet sat straight up. "Five minutes."

She climbed out of bed and grabbed her Juliard hoodie.

"I have to go to Jessica's house," she said as she slipped it over her head. She reached for her keys.

"I'll drive," Sean offered.

She bit her lip. "I don't think it's a good idea for you to go with me. She needs me-"

"You're not going alone."

Garnet sighed. "Look, we haven't heard from Mayne in two weeks. The police are doing patrols around the house and they haven't found anything. I think I'm okay to go one place-"

"Not alone you aren't."

The familiar irritation started building up, but this time it was tinged with desperation. She needed to get to Jessica's house. Now.

"Sean! My best friend needs me!"

"So go! I'll go with you!"

She sighed., resisting the urge to stomp her foot.

"It's not the same-"

"I don't care-"

"Oh my God, I wish you would just leave me alone!" she exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air. "I never get a freaking break from you!"