High and Low

A month passed. Garnet and Sean grew closer every day. There was no sign of Mayne, but Sean still never left her side. Garnet fell into a comfortable routine: school, homework, workout, dinner, homework, workout, homework, shower, sleep. She didn't need to fit time in for Sean, because he was present every minute of the day. Most people would have felt suffocated, but Garnet felt...safe.

There was a nagging fear at the back of her mind all the time, but it was dulled now that she had Sean. She felt protected.

Really, the thing ruling her life was the waiting.

Waiting anxiously for Mayne to attack again, waiting anxiously to hear from Juliard...it was driving her crazy.

Garnet laid awake at night, exhausted but scared for both things to happen.

What if she didn't get accepted to Juliard? Her whole life plan would be totally ruined. Not in a way she could fix it, either; she'd literally given her whole life to dancing. Since she was two, she'd taken every dance class possible, skipped school for contests and professional rehearsals, dedicated her free time to workouts, taken classes that would help her dancing career, and even sacrificed a social life and normal eating habits. If she didn't get accepted to Juliard, all of her preparations would be for nothing, and she'd have to totally turn her life around and go in a different direction, one she wasn't passionate about at all.

Garnet knew she was good, and she'd given her auditions her best...but it was terrifying waiting to see if she was accepted or not. To see if the work she'd done her whole life would pay off.

Add school and Mayne to everything, and the normally composed and cool Garnet was a total nervous wreck.

***

Sean opened the door for Garnet one day after school. She hurried to get out of the lightly falling snow, stamping her boots on the doormat inside. She hung her coat and took Sean's, hanging it beside hers. The couple raced for the living room, trying to beat each other to the plush chair by the fire.

Garnet reached the chair first, throwing herself into it with a contented sigh. Sean grinned and forced himself next to her, pulling her partially onto his lap and wrapping a strong arm around her waist. She rolled her eyes and relaxed into him, enjoying the warmth from the fireplace and Sean's body heat. He was always warm.

Her mom walked into the living room, not batting an eye at their position. She'd figured out early on that they were dating and accepted it completely. Her dad...was another story. He was starting to come around, a fact that made Garnet extremely happy.

Her mom held out an envelope. 

Garnet hesitantly reached out, instantly sitting up straight. 

Her heart pounded and her hands shook in anticipation as she read the return address: Juliard.

Her breath hitched. She froze, not sure she even wanted to open it. Whatever this letter said would change her life, there was no doubt about it. But would it be for better or worse?

She closed her eyes and said a silent, fervent prayer, her whole body tense. She was giving herself a nervous headache, and she hadn't even opened it.

Sean put a hand on her shoulder. She squeezed his hand and took a deep breath then stood, facing away from him and her mother.

She slowly slid a shaking finger under the lip, opening the envelope. It ripped and she had to fight to get it open.

She felt like she was going to faint.

She finally pulled out the folded letter in front and held it to her chest, eyes closed. 

She said another silent prayer, begging to be admitted, and then quickly unfolded it, eyes eagerly scanning the page.