Epilogue

Six months later
***

Garnet and Jessica shoved their ballet shoes into their dance bags and slipped their tennis shoes on. Garnet chugged a bottle of water, tossing one to Jessica. They waved to Emily and Andrea, the other two girls in their summer ballet class, and left. 

They walked outside, chatting about the upcoming recital. It would be put on just before fall classes started up at the end of August. Their parents were flying in for the occasion.

Garnet managed to hail a taxi and she told the driver her address. Her cell rang. It was Sean.

She sat back in the seat and answered.

"Hey."

"Hey. Class is over?"

"Just ended. Why?"

"I miss you," he whined.

She laughed. "Wait five minutes, okay?"

He sighed dramatically. "Fine."

She lived five minutes away from the school, in a loft apartment just around the block. It was way too hot to walk today, though, and she didn't mind paying the fifteen dollars. At least the taxi was air conditioned, even if it did smell like onions.

The driver dropped them off in front of the loft and they went upstairs, dropping their things in the doorway.

Sean came out of the kitchen, a cup of pudding in one hand and a spoon in the other.

"You're home!" he exclaimed. He set his food down and opened his arms. 

Garnet rolled her eyes, but ran to him, allowing him to spin her around and kiss her enthusiastically.

"Don't mind me throwing up over here," Jessica muttered, heading for her room upstairs.

Garnet grinned as she wrapped her legs around Sean's waist, letting him hold her up instead of bending down to reach her.

"How was practice?" he asked breathlessly, carrying them to the comfortable futon and sitting down, his arms around her.

"It was great. We nailed the first routine today. The second one needs work, but we have time."

"Tired?" he asked.

"Very much so. I had jazz, too, and that was right after a calc quiz."

He shuddered. "Ew."

"Tell me about it."

She reached for the remote, just catching the three o'clock showing of Gilmore Girls. She relaxed into her boyfriend's side, sighing in contentment.

Mayne hadn't died. He was locked up under tight security, having been convicted and sentenced to prison for life, no bail or early releasal.

Garnet was safe from him, forever.

Her parents were enjoying their time together. They'd already been on an Alaskan cruise and had turned her old bedroom into a craft room for her mom. 

Jessica, Sean, and Garnet were happily living in a loft apartment. Sean was no longer her bodyguard; just her boyfriend. He was protective, though, out of habit. She loved it. She loved him, and they were going strong. Something told her they would be together for a very long time.

Jessica had been accepted to Juliard, too, shortly after the Mayne incident. Since Sean had graduated from a junior college already, he was studying for his degree in criminal justice online while he worked as a security guard at the same dance studio Garnet worked at.

She was taking summer classes at Juliard and teaching dance at a studio not too far from the apartment. 

She was tested with her schedule, but she loved every minute of her life. She was free, and her dreams were coming true, with her best friend and her bodyguard-turned-boyfriend by her side.

She could start living the life she'd always wanted.