They were very close, but there seemed to be thousands of mountains and rivers between them, and they didn't know how to cross.

They just stayed like this, not talking to each other anymore. The atmosphere was so awkward that it made the already quiet ward even quieter.

Amelia felt that it would be depressing if she continued to be alone with James, so she opened her mouth first.

"Mr. Evans, how long do I have to stay here?"

Seeing that she was so anxious to leave, James felt pain in his heart, and a bitter smile appeared on his handsome face.

"Amelia, is that why you don't want to stay with me?"

His voice was cold and trembling. Amelia's slightly curled eyelashes trembled slightly, but she didn't raise her eyes to look at him again.

Seeing that Amelia was silent, James knew her answer.

He raised his bony fingers and pressed the button beside the hospital bed.

The director came shortly and entered the ward. "Mr. Evans, what can I help you with?"

James leaned back on the sofa, staring at Amelia's pale face, and said coldly, "Give her a full body checkup to see if those drugs have damaged her organs."

The director wanted to say that Sexual drugs wouldn't damage the organs.

Amelia also felt that it was unnecessary, but before she could dissuade him, the director turned and left the ward.

Even the director would not dare to disobey the order of the major shareholder. He quickly notified each department to send experts and doctors to do the examination.

Having gone through a thorough check, Amelia didn't even dare to hide her anemia, so she reported all of them to James.

He seemed to have a psychological shadow on the previous false reports. He asked for multiple doctors' opinions and only believed them when he got the same answer.

The ophthalmologist was the last one to check Amelia. When he checked her eyes, he noticed something was wrong.

He immediately turned to look at the man standing beside him. "Mr. Evans, has the patient been blind before?"

James froze and looked down at Amelia. "Have you ever been blind?"

Nodding, Amelia said, "Yeah."

James choked, bent down, and stroked her eyes with his slender hands. "When? Why didn't you tell me?"

Amelia saw the distress in his eyes. She frowned slightly. "Before I died, I was blind for a while."

The word died was like a knife, piercing his heart, causing him to bleed profusely.

It turned out that she had been enduring not only the pain of heart failure, but also the pain of blindness.

And not only did he not stay with her when she was most helpless to take care of her, but he also hurt her mercilessly.

James put away the fingers that were stroking her eyes and squeezed them into his palms. After suppressing his guilt, he looked up at the ophthalmologist.

"What caused the blindness?"

"This patient has a latent eye disease that isn't noticeable at ordinary. As for why she suddenly lost her sight, it should be caused by ischemic encephalopathy after a severe coma. The damage to the motor center caused the blindness..."

The doctor's words made James feel more sinful.

It was that slap that caused the nail to hit the back of her head and led to a severe coma.