28. Stationary

A/N: Thanks as always for waiting, y'all. I get so busy this time of year so it can be difficult for me to get these out when I want to. I've made this chapter extra long to try to make up for it! I appreciate all the feedback you guys leave in the comments, it means so much. See you in the next one!

Braxton couldn't stop looking at her, it was hard to resist though he had to mind their newborn in his hands. Atreus was quiet, hardly squirming much as the heel of Braxton's hand rubs into his back, trying to get the air out of him. He hesitated to be so heavy handed and pat the newborns back, even if it really doesn't cause any harm whatsoever. But he can't get the image of him limp out of his head. He didn't want to put him down and especially not leave his wife's side.

  Lucy's eyes were trained on their newborn, the faintest smile on her face. Despite how weighted her lids were getting he found so much warmth in her copper gaze. Words can't describe the relief he feels to see her eyes as open and deep as he could remember. His heart still thudded hard with anxiety after seeing them roll back. He was honestly just relieved to be able to see her copper hues again.

  He didn't think he's properly exhaled since Atreus had fully emerged into the world. Disturbingly silent. Braxton worried he was feeling weak, though since Lucy insisted on nursing, Tre ought to be feeling better. He wished he could say the same for Lucy. She lay slumped back in her bed, hardly covered up despite the medical personnel seeming to have concluded whatever stitching they were doing down there. She had goosebumps populating her arms, and she tried not to shiver. At this rate it would deplete what little energy she has much faster.

  She perks up, cooing fondly at Atreus as air finally came up. He squirmed in discomfort, his squishy face pinching like he was frustrated. Braxton was sure he felt cold, too, only dressed in a diaper for now.

  Without much of a farewell, the medical staff - the whole crowd of them - file out of her room again. It was the conclusion of their supposed check-in with her, though most of the nurses appeared to mingle among themselves since they entered. Braxton can tell when people are pretending to be busy when they weren't doing much to contribute. It pisses him off, but he had to focus on his priorities now. It definitely won't go on unaddressed, though.

He's deeply relieved to have accompanied her through all this. To think that had he sent her and Aesir here sooner this was the kind of treatment she'd have to face on her own. It's like they aren't taking her seriously, not even willing to lend a listening ear without shooting her down with their 'professional' opinions. He wasn't going to let them steamroll her for the sakes of their egos.

Braxton sighs when they shut the door behind them, continuing to chatter down the long stretch that was the concrete corridor. Their many conversations bouncing off the walls and bleeding into the room.

He reminds himself to soften his expression when he looks back at Lucy, unable to help the smile tugging at his lips as he breathes her in. Her eyes trailed over his large hands as they supported their newborn with ease in his lap.

Gods, she was beautiful.

And she's here, conscious and alert and still her usual nurturing self. Never had he wanted to stay in her presence more. There's so much he wants to say, expressing his gratitude and appreciation, devotion and pride. She pushed through and persevered, and she deserved credit for that. Until they get some more answers, there was no way of guaranteeing Tre's survival out there had he been born before they got here.