25. Adjourn

A/N: Hey y'all! Happy holidays! I hope the year has treated you well. Here's another chapter, I know it's long overdue. I had midterms and finals... you know how it is. Anyways, I will try my best to get another chapter out sooner rather than later. Please look forward to that. I'm excited to finally get to write this section out, I've been anticipating it for the longest lol. Please let me know your thoughts, concerns, predictions! I want to deliver properly, especially because you have all been so patient  and gracious with me. I really appreciate you. Until then, see you in the next chapter in the next year!

Braxton unleashes a long sigh as he stared at the other Alphas' faces. He lets his weight sink into the podium at the front of the room, too anxious to sit down, though he didn't want to make his bad nerves more apparent by pacing the room. He keeps his feet planted, fumbling with the pen he'd hooked to his work documents while the others' small talk starts to disintegrate.

"Everything alright, Brax? The plan's still in order, right?" Seth was the one to speak up, voicing everyone's main concern. He feels all their lingering gazes following his every move, it fed the stubborn frustration he already felt lodged in his chest.

Braxton's tongue pokes his cheek, "I don't know," he admitted gruffly, eyes following his fingers as they trace the features of his pen. "She's refusing to leave early."

A brief silence fell on them all, enough to make Braxton peek up for their reactions, despite his reluctance. Just about all of them quirked their brows with genuine surprise, Vincent and Vernon sitting back and sharing a look with one another. "Maybe she's not convinced?" Seth wondered.

Braxton shakes his head begrudgingly, "She's not," he agreed, "She wanted me to elaborate, but..."

"You're not going to," Vince finished knowingly, motioning him to go on with the tip of his pen.

"I told her what's going to happen and she wasn't having it. I expected some pushback but she's so damn stubborn." He grumbled, staring curiously when he saw Seth and Luther cover their mouths.

His brows pinch as he observed the curves of their lips turning up a bit, failing to hide their genuine amusement, "Something funny?" He demanded, that pent up energy chasing his voice, unleashing an abrasive tone.

Luther straightens his back, clearing his throat to mask a chortle, "No, no... I just didn't think she had it in her." He admits, the others around the table mumbling in agreement, all biting back their smiles. Even Kegan, who fed off the energy of the other four.

"Had what in her?" Braxton challenged, his voice sharp with impatience. Nothing about this should be amusing. Her life was on the line, so were their kids'. How could they be laughing?

"We just never thought she'd stand up to you is all," Vincent explained. "To think that sweet, shy little Lucy finally snapped back at you." He earned a few agreeable chuckles, but clears his throat and turns away when he noticed he was under Braxton's piercing gaze. He rolls his eyes hard at them.

"She's capable of more than you think," he defends, expressing his absolute bemusement to their laughter.

Vincent scoffs at that, shaking his head in amusement, "No offense, Brax, but I find that pretty hard to believe. As timid as she is and she tells you - of all people - no? It's just hard to picture it."

"How about you picture my foot up your ass-" Luther cleared his throat, giving Braxton a stern look. A reminder that he had to maintain his composure. He gives Vincent a similar look, likely scolding him in their links.

"Cut that shit out, both of you. Tensions are high right now, and we ought to all be more sympathetic to that." He declared with hints of an apologetic tone as he looked at Braxton, a few reluctant nods around the table. Braxton gets a hold on his aggression, trying to fix his face to a more neutral expression. But something about the way Vincent was laughing about his wife disturbed him to his core. It properly irked him. An awkward silence falls on the atmosphere, but it thankfully doesn't last long. Braxton hoped it wouldn't drag before Luther forced them to apologize to each other like children.