6. Insistence

"Nonsense! Now, Lucy, let me carry that for you! We can't have you straining your back with the new baby on the way!" Marlene urged, taking the basket of yarn Lucinda was starting to lift from the table. The young woman had assured her mother-in-law that she was alright, as the basket wasn't all that heavy, though Marlene wouldn't have it.

  "Thank you," she sighed meekly, trying not to wince as she felt her son move. She presses her palm to her middle, starting to move downstairs to the sunroom. It was a nice day out, but Braxton didn't allow Lucy to go outside without him there. Usually, he didn't allow for Lucinda to go anywhere alone without an alpha (usually a guard) there to keep her safe, particularly himself. But considering the young pack leader was so busy, Lucy's typical company out to the garden was Laurence. As a retired Alpha, he claimed he had nothing better to do.

"Your knitting is coming along well, Lucy! You must be working so hard." Marlene said, setting the basket down on the ottoman. Lucy smiles at the compliment, trying not to blush. "Has Braxton seen your work? You've made enough little booties to give to some of the expecting pack mothers. They'd adore them." Marlene swooned, Lucy slowly sits down, her bump was much larger now, though she still had a ways to go in terms of growth. The chair was surprisingly comfortable, which was why it was one of her favorite spots in the house aside from the two-story library and the garden outside.

Since the conclusion of her first trimester, she's been feeling better over all. She still gets sick and experiences a few waves of nausea, but never has she been as violently ill as the beginning, nor was it as spontaneous. It was such a relief. She could no longer stand to be in their bedroom, either. Having suffered so long in bed, she grew to hate the confines of the large bedroom. She could only manage to wallow around in pain, and lethargically get up to attend her classes.

Lucinda earned her teacher's approval eventually, though it wasn't until she had personally witnessed how much Lucy had been suffering because of her pregnancy. Despite how much pain the girl was in, never did she complain to anyone about it. To the point where no one, except for Braxton, really knew all she was going through. The older woman had apologized for being so harsh to the Luna, and honored her for braving her intense lessons with a straight face. Lucinda couldn't help but to wonder if Laurence had talked to his sister-in-law about how she was being treated. Most of the Andersons seemed to pity her, and they struggled to hide it from her.

"Where did you learn to knit, anyway?" Marlene wondered as she watched Lucy's hands prepare her needles and yarn. She was smiling as she watched the young woman.

Lucinda smiles at her, "Something I picked up as a child." She didn't elaborate on it, and Marlene waited for her to, though it became apparent that Lucy wasn't intending to say much more about it. The older woman hums thoughtfully.

"Alright, well, you should be good in here, right?" Lucy nodded up at her mother-in-law politely, keeping on her bright smile. Marlene was very kind to her, both her and Brooke. It's refreshing, considering who she's married to. The more blunt and coarse Braxton tends to be, the more his family would do just the opposite.

"Thank you, ma'am-"

"Lucy, we talked about this. You're just as much our daughter as our other two children. Laurence and I don't mind you calling us by our names, or whatever makes you comfortable, alright? No need for honorifics." The young woman smiles at Marlene's gesture. They were very insistent on including her in their family, even Braxton. She could tell that it means a lot to them.

"Call if you need, alright? We're here if you need anything." Lucy nods, breathing in the fresh air permeating from the garden. It was quite large, the head chef got his ingredients from it, but along with that it housed many beautiful flowers. It was the only garden on their pack grounds that could house the indigo flower that had wedded them together. Really, it was a gorgeous flower to look at, it brought so much more character to the pastels.