27. Emerge

A/N: Hey y'all. Thanks as always for waiting for another chapter! I appreciate your patience with me. Lately, I've been swamped with school work and I see myself getting even busier in the near future. And honestly, I've been pretty demotivated to write despite how much I've been anticipating writing and posting the latest chapters upwards of a year now. I guess I have regrets and general disappointments from the last few chapters and based on some feedback I read, I assume that at least some of you are feeling the same way. Sorry about that. I'll continue to write my best when I can for the upcoming chapters. Thanks for your feedback and commentary as always, they really help me improve. Anyways, let me know what you think and I'll see you in the next one! Peace.💜✌🏾

Braxton had woken up pretty early, before anyone else. It was still dark out, so it was difficult to tell if it was morning just yet. The first thing he does is check on his wife next to him. She was lying on her side, curled up with a pinched expression. She looked cute, if he's honest, especially her exposed bump. He lifts his head, narrowing his gaze in the darkness as he looks for Aesir and his father as his eyes adjust. Even with his good vision, Aesir was hard to make out, but the furry umber pup was doing his usual squirming as he adjusted himself for probably the umpteenth time. Braxton's father was unfazed, snoozing undisturbed.

Lucy was fitful, too, her breathing was too shallow for his liking. He watched as her breath steamed. He drops his head, studying her as she tries to resolve herself, though her face kept pinching like she was in pain. The softest mewl slipping away as a result. It was worrisome, he'd hoped that didn't mean she was still cramping.

If they were in their human forms, he'd pull her body into him for comfort. The restriction makes his heart ache, he'd try to comfort her but she needed her rest. He didn't want to risk waking her prematurely.

She holds her breath for a long moment, and it draws his eyes to her bump. The way it tensed made him blink in surprise, but she didn't wake up. She relaxed when the convulsive grip on her released, sighing in her sleep.

He jumped at the earliest opportunity to send their scouts out. He didn't want to spend another day in this cave, especially when they're so close. Just two days and a night away if their predictions were accurate. All of their people were tired and worn out from the journey, and as much as it worried him, Lucy and Atreus had his primary concern. He didn't even want to entertain the possibility of something happening by thinking about it. He just had to get them there.

Kegan brought Luther over with him to check on Lucy. Honestly, it made Braxton's anger flare up, but he actively pushed it down. Keeg told me about her, how's she holding up? Luther queried.

She's been better, he started. We really ought to get going if we want to make it in time. He glanced down when his wife squirms in discomfort. She tenses again, a soft whimper slipping away.

What, you think she's having contractions? Luther asked, his brows knitting out of concern. Both of them settled their eyes on Lucy's curled up state, and the concern haunting their gazes made Braxton shift with discomfort.

Gods, I hope not. It'll make things so much harder for her, she was already slowing down as of two days ago before the cramps really started. But now having to walk was undoubtedly going to make her progress further. The further they go, the worse it'll get.

Maybe you should get a doctor to look at her, not much to be done though. Kegan offered, Braxton huffs in defeat. He was already planning on that, but realistically there's little it would do. Still, it can't hurt to try.

Yeah, he replied forcefully, narrowing his gaze at the younger. Who else have you told about her?

Just the Alphas. And they probably told their betas. Braxton sighs internally, wishing Kegan hadn't spread that around. Now they'll all have their opinions about it.