2. Adjustment

Luckily for Braxton, his little sister had rushed to explain the whole Lucy situation to their parents before dinner. By the time the dinner table had been set, everyone in the household was in the know. Braxton was glad to be spared the responsibility, for once he wasn't mad at Brooke for telling their parents everything about his business.

The four of them sat quietly, their mother Marlene seemed anxious to meet the new bride-to-be, almost as much as Brooke. She and Brooke were gushing with one another across the table, and Braxton's father Laurence seemed to only encourage their behavior, despite how much it was clearly aggravating Braxton. He just wanted this wedding thing to be over and done with already. Hopefully Lucy could stick with it so he won't have to go through another process with someone else. He seriously doubted he'd be able to find another candidate without as much to lose. Not to mention, he was quickly losing options. The council wouldn't stop until he's wedded and expecting an heir in the near future. There wasn't much choice. He's tried to convince them many times.

"You're so stubborn, Braxton!" His mother huffed, pouting in annoyance when he bluntly denied her fourth request to tell her how Lucy looks. She wants an idea of the girl prior to meeting her, but Braxton wasn't giving in, and her mate Laurence wasn't caving in, either. He felt it's not his place. She narrows her blue eyes at her son, though Braxton wasn't at all bothered by it. He's almost amused by his mother and sister's impatience. Almost.

Marlene kept fidgeting with her utensils and patting her shoulder length blonde hair, as if to ensure it stayed in place. Laurence kept giving her amused looks as they ate, the family waiting patiently for Lucinda to come down and join them. However, the first course had been missed by the newcomer.

Braxton flagged down one of their servants, who approached on quick feet and leaned toward him for him to whisper in her ear. "Where is the girl?" He asked sternly.

"She said she wasn't feeling well, sir, she took rest."

Braxton scoffs, getting up from his chair. It screeched disruptively against the floor as it slid back. He slams his napkin on the table and makes his way toward the stairs, catching the intricate carvings of the railing and pulling himself up onto the steps. He jogs up them two at a time. Marlene sighs, she hated when dinner was disrupted but Braxton would deal with her scolding later.

He saunters to his bedroom, footsteps heavy and powerful with force. He didn't bother knocking, turning the latch and pausing at the sight of Lucinda in bed. He huffs gruffly, turning on the light switch and moving toward the bed. She looked refreshed, likely having showered and situated herself. Her hair was sorted neatly into soft twisted strands that he'd never seen before. Her face was pretty, skin clear and dewy - pure, like a raindrop.

"Hey," he shook her shoulder, not having expected she would startle at his touch with a gasp. He heard her heart thundering and watched the alarm on her face resolve to it's stoic nature. "Get dressed, we're having dinner." He stated in a dull tone, still addled by her strong reaction simply to his touch. He knows his strength, he's quite heavy handed. Maybe he ought to try touching her more gently going forward.

Lucinda neutralizes her startled expression as she realizes who he was, she sits up, "It's fine, sir-"

"Braxton." He interrupted, folding his arms impatiently. He was frowning, giving her an expectant and intolerant look that would rival that of an overbearing parent.

She licks her lips, "Braxton," it was the first time she'd uttered it. He narrows his eyes at her. "Don't feel a need to-" He was already shaking his head before she could finish. He didn't care for extended courtesies, and she had no sensible reason to skip dinner. If she was motivated by fear she ought to get over that now.