23. Divert

A/N: Sorry for not updating sooner! I've had a lot going on and it's been difficult writing lately. Regardless, I hope y'all can enjoy this one! Let me know your thoughts, like I always say, they help me improve! ✌🏾💜

Aesir could hear the deep rumbling of his father's voice downstairs. He paused, and Kasper looks up to him curiously, wondering why the younger had stopped playing so suddenly. Aesir turns his head toward his bedroom door, hearing more deep, familiar voices. Though they were distant, as they were all the way downstairs. He had to distinguish them from the other commotion going on throughout the house.

"...Let me go get him..." he heard his Dad say, perking up at the sound of it. He's usually so busy now, ever since the other families came to live with them. It's nice to have Kasper but he missed his parents. The few times he does get to see his Dad, maybe once a day (twice if he's lucky) he seems to be upset. His thick eyebrows are pushed together, and he has this stiff, meanish look on his face. He's always frowning and grumbling about work stuff. Aesir wished he knew what it was. Maybe he can help his Dad feel better. It always looks like it stresses him out, telling by how much he'll run his fingers through his hair or release long, deep huffs of air.

Footsteps approach, and Aesir can feel a stir of excitement building, hoping it's not him just heading to his office again. He works too much. It doesn't even seem like he likes it. Aesir can't help but wonder why he does it so much if he doesn't like working. Kasper told him that it's just his job. "Why'd you stop? I wanna go off the ramp." Kasper wondered, whining a bit as Aesir's car was still in the way.

Aesir pushes himself to his feet, rubbing his sore knees, "I think it's Dada," he muttered quietly, hoping it was true. Kasper's nose wrinkles for a moment at Aesir's mention of the word 'Dada'. He said a few times that he didn't like using such baby-ish words, and he used to tell Aesir that he shouldn't call him that. But his Mama scolded him for it, she said something about Aesir still being young. It still annoyed him, but he doesn't say anything.

"But Ace-" There's a gentle knock at the door, Aesir bounces on the balls of his feet excitedly, watching the door swing open. His father pokes his head in, a smile growing on his face at the sight of Aesir already standing to greet him. The boy runs up to him, wrapping his arms around his leg, which had the father surprised.

"Woah, hey, buddy. You're in a good mood," he muttered observantly, gently patting his back.

"Missed you," Aesir admits, having no intentions to pull his cheek away from his father's leg. Though he was promptly lifted up by large, strong hands. He hears his father hum observantly.

"No hug for me?" said another familiar voice, Aesir lifts his head from his father's shoulder, beaming at his grandfather's warm smile. He hadn't even noticed he was here to see him, too. The only times he hears Grandad these days are when he and Dad are working together, which isn't often. Grandad holds his hands up for Aesir, and the boy eagerly leans toward him, gripping his neck the moment he was transferred. "You wanna go see Mama? Come on," Grandad said, already turning to move across the hall. Aesir peeks over his shoulder, waving at Kasper before his father shuts the door.

The adults were murmuring amongst each other, though Aesir hardly paid it much mind. He noticed Grandad's face fall a bit, his thick brows knitting together for a moment at something that was shared between them. His parents' bedroom door was gently opened, the room seemed dark. There were many shadows and not much sunlight was let in. Just enough to illuminate the space. Aesir turns to look for his Mama, spotting her across the room, her body stretched out on their couch. She had a blanket on her lap, her head turning toward the three of them as they entered. She put on a smile, pushing herself upright to greet them. She exchanged a look with his Dad, shaking her head for a moment.