The Junkyard

this part annoys me so damn much

How tf was Javi and his family supposed to know this random ass junkyard belonged to not just a group, but a COMMUNITY of people? They probably genuinely thought they were the only humans left in that area specifically

So Max's stupid "tHiS sHiT iS oUrs, yOu tHieF" shit makes me so mad man 😤

Bah

...

..

.

Javier slows their heavily-enforced van as it comes up to a speed bump before the entrance of the junkyard, parking the vehicle after clearing the bump with the front tires.

He looks back at Kate and the kids, Gabe seeming anxious to go and Kate nervous while Mariana seemed content, and climbs out, shutting the door as softly as he could to avoid drawing unnecessary attention.

He takes his flashlight out of his back pocket, clicking it on to help light his way in the darkness of the area. Kate steps out of the van, her and Javier exchanging a quick glance before he makes his way into the closed off junkyard.

Javier looks around cautiously with narrowed eyes, shining his light in piles of garbage and useless items before checking his other side as well, no walkers so far.

Kate had climbed into the van's driver seat and was now slowly inching the van forward, following Javier as he inspects the area. She turns to the right, lining the van up along the wall before putting it into park.

Gabe practically throws the door open with a sigh of relief, hopping out as Mariana lingers inside, her hands clasped together and her eyes closed.

Javier grabs their ice pick from inside the van, noticing Mariana and tilting his head. "You praying for our safety, Mari?"

Mariana opens her eyes, grinning happily, "I'm praying I find a candy bar."

Kate chuckles lightly at this, "all right, what do we actually need?"

"Uh, a candy bar," Mariana muses, sticking her tongue out.

"Need, Mariana. Not want," Kate fondly replies, setting her hand on her hip with a smile and a raised eyebrow.

"... I really need a candy bar."

"You heard the crowd," Javier jokes with amusement, grinning roguishly and rolling his eyes as he speaks dramatically. "Please, God, let there be candy bars."

"Amen!" Mariana cheers happily, laughing.

"All right," Kate gives in with a soft laugh, nodding in agreement. "Well, let's start with some gas and move up from there."

A snarl makes Javier jump slightly in alarm, his eyes narrowing when he sees a walker staggering over, a crowbar hanging from its dislocated jaw. Javier calmly walks forward towards the walker, swiftly grabbing the crowbar and pulling it free. He swings it backwards with one hand, grunting as he brings it back down against the walker's face.

The walker was knocked to the ground from the force, Javier preparing to swing the crowbar as a baseball player would, and swinging it down with a yell, knocking half the walker's head clean off and killing it.

Gabe briskly walks past Javier, heading further into the junkyard.

"Hey," Javier firmly calls, frowning. "Where you going?"

Gabe simply glares back at him and Kate, Mariana scowling in annoyance at her brother's behavior as he turns and walks away.

"Okay, that's cool. Have... fun," Kate sarcastically shouts after him, rolling her eyes. "Jesus. It never ends with him."