The smallpox had to be stopped from spreading.

The problem was distance.

'How long will it take to get there?'

Raymond made a puzzled face.

The province of Rafalde was at the northern end of the Droton Kingdom.

The smallpox outbreak had erupted at the southern tip, a considerable distance away.

The journey ahead was lengthy, stretching far into the horizon.

Given the expanse, even riding at full speed would require at least a week's travel.

Considering the rugged terrain along the route, the journey would likely extend beyond that estimate.

'No way. I've given them some quarantine measures, but after that long, it's likely to spread the disease around.'

But he had no choice.

They'd just have to try to get there as quickly as possible, but that idea hit a snag soon after they set off.

"What are we going to do about the Kennel Mountains? We don't know what monsters we'll encounter if we go through them."

Raymond's jaw dropped at Christine's words.

'Monsters, that's scary. I don't even want to look in the direction of the Kennel Mountains.'

The Kennel Mountains are a wide range of mountains in the south of Rafald.

The Borrison Estate, where the Crystal Crisis occurred, was also located in the Kennel Mountains, and he was terrified when he went to explore it.

It was rugged and full of dangerous monsters, so it usually takes a long detour.

It was one of the reasons why trade between Rafalde and the mainland Droton Kingdom hasn't really taken off.

'It's dangerous to go through, and there's no time to go around, eh?'

But this time, others gave him forced courage(?).

First, Elmud, the sweet potato fool, spoke up.

"I know how much you care about your patients, my lord, don't worry, I'll protect you no matter what the danger!"

"..."

Hanson shook his head and gave Christine a scolding look.

"That was a foolish question, Princess. A detour for a master who moves for his patients."

Christine sighed.

"I know, I'm just saying."

She knew there were no detours for the patient-worried Raymond.

"Uh.... I think a detour would be a good idea... If we're safe, the patient is safe..."

It was just something he said out of frustration that he had to risk his patients like this every time.

Lyndon spoke up, but it was lightly dismissed.

Rao briefly wondered at Raymond's hesitation, but chastised himself for doubting his brother again, and went ahead to find the quickest route.

Finally, Mevinson the Sage tearfully commended Raymond for taking a risk for his patient, while Raymond the party...

'...You fools.'

And so it was, with a heavy heart, that they penetrated the Kennel Mountains.

***