CHAPTER 36

Theodore Mill

When Kurt finally settled and I stepped back into Winston's waiting chest, his arms wrapped around me while I rubbed my arm. Kurt deserved worse for what he'd done. I remember the story about him, Winston had shared once before when we were out for ice cream, I don't even know how we got onto the topic but I was grateful and now I had met the man who tried to hard to get in the way of my best friends happiness.

"What happened to subtle?" Winston whispered into my ear and I turned to look around knowing nobody noticed a thing other that the gargoyles that came to like, screeching in alarm. They had settled now, their beady eyes fixed on me knowingly and slowly they were returning to stone.

"You ask as though anyone noticed." I turned to him and watched him raised a brow.

"What did you do, exactly?"

"A curse, one that will last a lifetime until he takes his own life." I murmured watching as his brows rose and he looked behind me, Kurt was being helped up by his new mate who seemed confused about how he'd fallen, Kurt was just as dazed, somehow unable to recall the past five minutes and I couldn't help but smirk.

"We should find our friends," Winston said wrapping his arm around my shoulder and guiding me away from the scene of the crime when a woman in red blocked out path, bowing before standing upright.

"Excuse my intrusion," she began with her eyes downcast. "My lady requests an audience before your departure."

I wondered if I'd somehow missed the first toast, but having felt the gargoyle eyes on me earlier it was possible this was because of that. I clung to Winston then as she walked infront of us, walking us up a flight of stairs. Their home was beautiful, a mixture of modern and old, somehow working harmoniously.

It was the familiarity of the aura that gave me pause once we'd reached their first floor. It came from down the hallway and beckoned me somehow. Suddenly it was like I could see it, the hue of yellow made a winding smokey trail towards the room at the end of the hall and I found myself stepping towards it unknowingly. It didn't make it far as the woman in red stepping infont of me, motioning in the other direction which caused me to blink, stunned and looking behind her.

What is it? Winston coaxed in my mind.

I thought I saw... something...

Like?

I paused for a moment turning away from the yellow aura making a path known to me. A friend.

The office was huge, big enough to be a bedroom and in it Elijah and Donovan were already waiting patiently. I looked at my friend whose lips were taunt and his eyes cold yet mischievous. Donovan stood close by but not touching him, the energy in the room was almost suffocating.

The doors on the other side opened and Sylvana finally joined us, her eyes slid onto me, seeming fixed in that moment and she smirked.

"Quite the introduction to our foundation," she began followed by four other women dresses in white, they had weapons strapped to them which gave me the impression they were guards. "Not sure I remember the last time something like that was managed under our roof."

"Something like what?" Elijah asked sounding bored as he stared at the paintings on the wall..

"Magic," she smirked sitting down and threading her fingers together. "Casters built this manor as a base for their covens, it's literally a non-magic zone and yet..." She tilted her head as though questioning me, waiting for some explanation.