CHAPTER 15

Winston Mill

Carrin had shocked the entire pack into silence. Her shift in the middle of all the chaos could not have come at a more opportune moment. Most wolves sustained a scratch or two from having to see her protect our Alpha.

The moment, sadly, I had missed having been stuck to Theodore, happily might I add and nearly died trying. Arson filled me in as Elijah and Theodore went to save his parents. I waited with Donovan, watching as most of the pack came around to see Carrin who hadn't managed to shift back.

The girl was in her panther form, yes, a whole black panther, her coat was so dark that it was only when you looked closer could you see the light hint of circles all over her body. Cynthia had been glued to her side since, trying to hiss at anyone who got too close.

Donovan seemed less surprised than anyone but he was tense nonetheless.

"It becomes more obvious that Elijah tells you everything." I murmured as we both kept a close eye on his sister.

"Don't be jealous." He grumbled, but I caught the shy smile on his face. The man was a whole goof when it came to his mate.

"What does this mean though?"

Donovan blinked and finally looked at me. "What do you mean?"

"Two wolves produce a panther? I know there's only two known herds in the whole world, both incredibly small, like, only 15 or so in each." Donovan seemed to clear his throat and before he even opened his mouth to respond there was shouting.

"Who does she belong to!?" It was Arnold and he had arrived. Catherine had been with the children and since was biting her nails by the porch, not bothering to go to her own daughter to comfort or even try to understand what and how this had happened. Arnold had gone to visit his eldest daughter, as far as I knew, Donovan hadn't called him yet, so goddess only knews who called and told him.

We all watched tensely as Arnold stalked towards Catherine, blatantly ignoring Carrin who finally stood to her full panther height.

"Arnold, please," Catherine held her hands infront of her to stop Arnold's advance. The man grabbed her forearm and dragged her to stand in front of Carrin.

"Who does she belong to!?" Carrins ears flattened and she stepped back seeming to shrink into the trees. "Answer me, damnit!"

"Arnold." Catherine whimpered and the man forced her to the ground, causing her to kneel.

"Are we goi-" I began to ask but Donovan growled lowly effectively shutting me up.

"34 years..." Arnold heaved a breathe and stepped back as his voice weakened. "For 34 years I have stuck by you, Catherine."

"Yes, I know, please just...let's go ins-"

"No, you will explain yourself right here, right now infront of your children." The silence was heavy as the man's chest rose and fell and Catherine began to sob and shake her head. It was almost painful to watch.

The sparks that spread over my arm to my chest caused me to look down and catch Theodore's wide eyes fixed on the scene infront of all of us.

"What going on?"

"Carrin shifted." I whispered back to him, bending just a little bit to get closer to his ear. I caught the shiver that travelled his spine. "Her parents are fight because of it." Theodore looked up at me and frowned, his hold on my wrist didn't hesitate to tighten and I bit my lip to stop from smiling.