CHAPTER 8

Theodore Hault

He was staring at me, his thick brows furrowed, I felt tempted to reach for him and press my thumb between the crease. This urge had me tilting my own head curiously.

The food was warm, he had gone to reheat them and decided to sit through me having my meal. It should have been suffocating, I should have felt uneasy and yet, the only unease I felt was with myself, my response to this strange beautiful man.

I blinked and brought myself to finally look at him. It's different here. I heard Elijah's voice echo in my mind. I swallowed nervously then and inhaled deeply, he noticed my sudden stare, I watched as he sat up straight, the crease between his brows gone and he blinked, he reminded me of a child almost, the innocent and almost eager look he gave me made my chest ache and I reached for it, patting lightly as heat rose up my neck.

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" My voice was so soft, the edge of a whisper and he leaned forward which had me holding my breathe.

"Once you've finished eating, yes." His deep timber made me swallow and my lips parted as I stared into his dark grey eyes. Flashes of my dream surfacing and my body warmed until I forced myself to look away confused.

I need to stay away from this man, I decided. I had no other choice but to stay here, at least for now. They knew more than I wanted but, I had been forced to show my own hand. Jeffrey hadn't wasted time and so, neither could I.

My goal was simple, I couldn't trust these people but I could trust myself, I had no other choice. They may not help me, but I would make sure I learn as much as possible from Elijah, the man would teach me magic, I would become stronger, powerful too, atleast, just enough to save my friends..my family.

I knew there was more to it, I was curious about Elijah, there were questions I didn't dare bring myself to entertain because I didn't have the luxury. My situation was time sensitive, my people could only survive so long if at all. As much as I wanted to know how I got here, what had triggered the weakening of the collar that kept me with Jeffery for the last two years, the bigger reason to my being brought here... I needed to focus first on the safety of my friends and family.

I found myself nodding then, knowing and seeing my goal clearly. I ate silently, my cheeks full and chewed quickly when the sound of laughter gave me pause.

"Uncle Winston!"

I watched surprised at the sight of a child, he was absolutely adorable, panting and looking at Winston with bright eyes of hazel mixed with blue. There was a familiarity about him, he proceeded to climb onto Winston's lap who watched amused.

"Shouldn't you be with Carrin?"

"Hide and seek." The boy giggled and hid in Winston's large chest, who chuckled and shook his head while wrapping his arms around the kid. The sight of them was one that had my little heart beating a little faster. There was a pang at the thought that maybe it was his child, there wasn't much resemblance but, still, the idea had me frowning. Who was the child's other parents? Was it this Carrin person?

"Whose this?" The child looked up at me and I blinked, my cheeks still full of food and he laughed. "You a chipmunk."

I blinked and looked at Winston who chuckled while I hurriedly tried to chew my food quickly and swallow. "This is Theodore, our ...new friend."