CHAPTER 18

Winston Mill

"Will you...go on a date with me?"

I blinked as my lips parted and my brows rose, I dropped the gardening tool in my hand and swallowed.

"W-what?"

"If you want t-to, no pressure or-or anything,I just- well, I-uhm," Theodore looked down, chuckling awkwardly and touching his hair nervously, there was a tremble in his voice and I frowned.

Had they told him about the council? Was that what brought this on? Did he feel the need to make sure they don't force him back into Jeffery's arms? Even though the guy was nothing more than human, I wouldn't put it past them either.

"Theodore, if this..." I sighed and closed my eyes knowing I might just regret my next statement. "If this is because of the council, you don't have to force yourself. I don't expect anything from you and nobody should." I bent down unable to bring myself to see the look on his face. "If we-" I cleared my throat- "whatever chance you'll want to give me one day, I need it to be your own, I don't want us doing anything we don't want to do for the sake of others."

Finally as I looked at him, I caught his wide eyed look, "what?" He blinked and then looked around with furrowed brows before looking back at me. "What're you talking about?" He asked slowly, cautiously.

"The email?"

"What email?"

I frowned then and looked down while rubbing the back of my neck. "The one sent by Tasha? The council giving us 3 weeks to prove you have a true mate?"

I watched as his shoulders fell and he eyes stay fixed on me. The silence stretched between us and I suddenly felt sick to my stomach. He hadn't known? They didn't tell him?

Great, just my luck.

"I didn't-" he shook his head. "3 weeks, huh?" He was nodding now, his tongue probed his cheek and he shook his head. "That's practically no time really."

"Yeah," I frowned still, watching him. "I just- I thought you knew."

"No, thank you...for telling me." He began to kick the stone pathway and sighed. "They really are something, that council." I wasn't sure what to say as I watched him.

"Wait, so, you...wanted to go out...with me?"

This seemed to remind him what had brought us here, the colour that flooded his cheeks was so beautiful, I wanted to spend my entire life making sure I got as good a look as I possibly could. He threaded his fingers together and nodded looking away from me.

"I didn't even come here to ask really," he chuckled. "It just...well, came out."

"Oh."

"Yeah." We were silent and this time it was my turn to feel the heat blossoming within me. Theodore wanted to take me out on a date. He wanted to spend time with me, him, he was coming to me.

"I mean it still, I don't want you to push yourself... I... I want us to find each other on our own terms..."

Theodore smiled then, the sight breathtaking enough that I stumbled back a bit.